Thursday, February 8, 2018

Carpe Diem #1365 Silk


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at this delayed post of yesterday. I hadn't enough time to create this post yesterday, so my excuses for that inconvenience, but here it is our episode of today Silk I remember that I have created several other posts about silk, but this month while we are on a journey along the Silk Road such a n episode cannot be missed.
Maybe you know that I am also hosting a feature at Mind Love Misery's Menagerie, "heeding Haiku With ..." Yesterday (Wednesday February 7th) I published an episode about "silk", so I will (and can) make it myself a little bit easier and ... of course I will do that for this delayed post.


The Silk Road was a really renown trade route, or better said routes, straight through Asia. This month we are focusing especially on the Northern and Southern Route around the Teklamakan Desert on the main land of China. The Silk Road got its name especially from the fine silk that was made in China and other regions around the Silk Road. Later it became a very rich trade route not only for the wealth of the silk, but also of pottery, porcelain, spices and more.

I wonder ... will there have been relationships growing around the Silk Road? It was a well used trade route and people from all over the globe came along it and met each other. It just must have been also a route of love, intimacy, sensuality and sexuality. There must have been love relations ... growing I don't know that for sure of course, but it just had to be.

A wonderful piece of Chinese silk
Imagine ... a rich trader has fallen in love with a beautiful woman (or man) and he loves to give his love a wonderful piece of clothing what would be more beautiful than a wonderful piece of Chinese silk to create a kimono or something of. Than his love would be very grateful and maybe love him even more than she (he) already does. What can it bring such nice piece of clothing than give the love a boost ... Isn't that what we all long for ... love and more love?

I love to challenge you to create a haiku or tanka about love, sensuality, sexuality or maybe lust in which silk plays a role. Just give it a try to bring love into haiku or try to create a tanka is it was meant to be ... a love poem.

Let me give you an example from my archives:

arousing my senses
the sweet coolness of silk blankets
shared with my love

© Chèvrefeuille

Or what do you think of this beauty by our friend Hamish Managua Gunn which he wrote for us back in 2015:

her cinnamon taste— 
and the silk she wraps herself in
for both I travel miles!

© Hamish Managua Gunn


silken kimono
the coolness of the shadow
hot summer day

kimono slipping
fingertips discover silk road
ecstatic sigh

© Chèvrefeuille

All poems in which you can sense love and sensuality embraced with a touch of silk. Must be a joy to create haiku with this theme.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until February 15th at noon (CET). I will try to post our new episode,  Kashgar (Northern route), later on. Please forgive me if I am not reaching that goal, because I have the evening shift and it is very busy at work.


No comments:

Post a Comment