Friday, June 21, 2019

Carpe Diem Weekend Meditation #90 Crossroads ... Summer Solstice (Troiku Hineri)


!! Open for your submissions next Sunday June 23rd at 7:00 PM (CEST) !!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new weekend meditation here at our wonderful Haiku Kai, the place to be if you like to create and share Japanese poetry. I hope you all enjoy this Troiku month and ofcourse I hope that your muses are active to inspire you.

This weekend I love to challenge you with a Crossroads episode. As you all know in the Crossroads feature I will give you two (sometimes more) haiku from which you have to create a so called "fusion-haiku". That "fusion-haiku" you have to use to create a Troiku with. This weekend I love to challenge you a little bit more.

This weekend you have to create a Troiku Hineri. What does that mean? Well .. as you all know a Troiku starts with a "source-haiku" from which you have to create three new haiku using the separated three lines as the first line of the new haiku. You created than three new haiku. In a Troiku Hineri you are repeating that same creating proces with the separated lines of your three new haiku. Doing that you create a total of nine new haiku (in total a Troiku Hineri gives you 12 new haiku).


Summer Solstice at Stonehenge (UK)

Today (June 21st) on the Northern hemisphere Summer has started, so for this weekend meditation "Crossroads" I have chosen Summer Solstice as theme. Here are the haiku to work with, one by a classical haiku poet and one by a modern haiku poet:

this short night -
from a shallow well I scoop
a persimmon flower

© Yosa Buson (1716-1784)

solstice splits
between the peach halves
a red stone sun

© Jane Reichhold (1937-2016)

Two wonderful haiku I think. It gives you the opportunity to create a "fusion-haiku", a symbiosis, between ancient - and modern times.

Enjoy your weekend ... This weekend meditation is open for your submissions next Sunday June 23rd at 7:00 PM (CEST) and will remain open until June 30th at noon (CEST). Have a wonderful sunny weekend full of inspiration, but also time to relax ...


3 comments:

  1. This was a real challenge, on many levels. I always have mixed feelings about the Summer Solstice - I can't wrap my head around it being the day with the most light, only to lose minutes in the next breath. It's also harder when the spring has been so miserable for weather, which where I am, it has. So I always feel a sense of mourning and loss.

    Regardless, it was difficult because the more I sat with the two exceptional haiku, the more I became certain that I couldn't create a fusion that would blend or express their profound beauty. So I started thinking "outside" the box - really trying to capture something different, perhaps more personal - which is why I'm not sure I've succeeded at all. Haiku is supposed to be a pebble thrown, a moment captured in time? But I'm more about the "ripples" after the fact. LOL - So I wrote and reflected, re-wrote, changed directions and ended up with what I've shared. I don't know if it's "quite right" - but it is what it is.

    And I have a "technical" question: I think I understand the concept of creating Troiku. But what I'm not sure about is this - in creating Hineri - the series of troiku - are they supposed to stand independently of each other? as in separate from the others? or do they lend themselves to a "thread" - subtly linking one to the next, as in a more "traditional" narrative or story?

    This dimension added further "complications" in my mind, but I think I sort of have a combination of both.
    Your thoughts and clarification would be most appreciated Chèvrefeuille -
    and thank you for the interesting weekend reflection/meditation - I wish you a most glorious Midsummer celebration and hope the week is one filled with much joy and peace.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A troiku hineri means that you create a first troiku with the given haiku. Than you use the three newly created haiku to do the same thing.From every new haiku you separate the three lines which you use as the first lines of the new troiku. You can make a 'thread', a story so to say, but that isn't necessary. You can also create three new troiku that can be read on their own.It's all up to you ... just enjoy it andlet your muses inspire you. Just start 'free-styling' and enjoy.
      I hope this gives you insight on the troiku hineri.

      Namasté,

      Chèvrefeuille

      Delete
    2. thank you - your answer offers what I needed to know :)
      (Pat)

      Delete