Thursday, August 14, 2014

Carpe Diem #539, Trees


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Nature is one of the most important themes for haiku and as you all maybe know Managua Gunn is a big fan of forests. Several days ago he provided me with a few wonderful photos and one of them I am going to use today for our prompt.
Today our prompt is Trees and Khalil Gibran has a few wonderful 'verses' about trees in "Sand and Foam". Here are those 'verses' for your inspiration:

[...] "Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky. We fell them down and turn them into paper that we may record our emptiness". [...]

[...] "If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees". [...]

That second 'verse' is in my opinion a 'masterpiece' and as I look to it with a 'Zen-eye' I think it's so true. We are all part of nature ... so if you whisper your secrets to the wind ... the wind will reveal them to the trees. We are one with nature ... so the trees are our companions. We need them ... and they will give us peace. (See also the GW-post by Managua).

© Managua Hamish Gunn
reaching for the sky
like trees kissing the clouds -
secrets revealed

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... now it is up to you ... this episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until August 17th at noon. I will try to post our next episode, wings, later on. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your inspired haiku with Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.


4 comments:

  1. I am enjoying these prompts so much! Thank you again for your kindness. Your haiku, so nice and relaxed in first reading, suddenly means much more in second reading. I now count this as one of 3 master haiku on your pages in one week.I mean haiku that should be studied. Just as your rowan tree haiku opened the door to the idea that a tree or plants could hold the notion of good and evil, this haiku is spiritual, therapeutic - the release of secrets to the big blue sky seems to have a shamanistic feel to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To capture that essence... first of all the quotes today was really intriguing. and then you follow up with such a great haiku.. this is inspiring... really

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing haiku and a wonderful photo! Really enjoying this prompt.
    Will write my haiku soon -- after I go for a walk in the trees! :)
    All the best to you both --

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your haiku, Kristjaan! The photo is vraiment! magnifique,

    ReplyDelete