Sunday, April 28, 2019

Carpe Diem #1652 Cherry Petals (modern kigo)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at the penultimate episode of April 2019. This month I took a week off and I enjoyed it. This month we have explored modern and classical kigo for spring and today I love to challenge you with a modern kigo extracted from Jane Reichhold's modern saijiki "A Dictionary of Haiku".
Today I saw the cherry petals fall from the Sakura in my backyard and that brought me the idea to give you a modern kigo related to that event ... cherry petals.




And here is an example (or two) extracted from Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary of Haiku" with this modern kigo:

a long journey
some cherry petals
begin to fall

garden waterfall
cherry petals float to earth
in the sound

© Jane Reichhold (taken from: "A Dictionary of Haiku".)

Two beauties I think. Both give tribute to Jane, because she was one of the best modern haiku poets I have ever known. She was renown all over the globe and was once my co-host here at CDHK. She is still missed dearly, but I know her spirit is dwelling here at our wonderful Haiku Kai.

spring breeze
rustles through the cherry trees
it seems to be snowing

© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until May 5th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our last episode of April later on. Next month it's Tan Renga Challenge month and I hope you all will join in again to create this wonderful small chained verses.


No comments:

Post a Comment