Monday, November 18, 2019

Carpe Diem #1782 freestyling haiku ... Devouring Apricots


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

First I have to apologize for not publishing a weekend meditation, I really hadn't time. I had a very busy weekend at work so I couldn't create a weekend meditation. Sorry for that.

This month it's all about "Never Change A Winning Team", but today I love to challenge you with a kind of "let the winning team go", why? Well ... maybe you know that we have had here at CDHK once a feature about "freestyling" haiku. In that feature I challenged you to create a so called "free-style haiku", a haiku that doesn't follow the classical rules and that has as less as words as is possible. Let me give you an example:

kissing
tongues melt together
as one

© Chèvrefeuille

No classical rules, a minimum of words, but still a wonderful haiku. This is what I call a "free style haiku". For this episode I will give you a few haiku by Jane Reichhold and your challenge is to "re-create" these given haiku into a "free style haiku".




Here are the haiku from Jane's online version of "A Dictionary of Haiku". I have chosen one from each season:

(spring)

light carried in my arms
apple blossoms from a neighbor
on my doorstep

(summer)

devouring apricots
the fine hairs of her mustache
moist and juicy



Apricots
(autumn)

broken by the storm
the asters' fragrance rises
out of damp earth

(winter)

rusty red the bracken
its shape lost as the cold
takes the bird's wing

© Jane Reichhold

Four beautiful haiku I think and you have to "re-create" them as a "free style haiku". A nice challenge I think.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until November 24th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode later on. For now ... happy freestyling!


No comments:

Post a Comment