Friday, February 15, 2013

Carpe Diem Special #22, Chiyo-Ni's Morning Glory



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today another wonderful haiku written by Chiyo-Ni, our female haiku master of this month. As we already know, Chiyo-Ni wrote a lot of haiku about Morning Glories, so I couldn't let this month pass without her most famous haiku on this nice, short living, flower.


Baby Blue Jay and Blue Morning Glories
by Imao Keinen (1930)

A wonderful woodblock which I found on Ebay.com. It shows a Baby Blue Jay and Blue Morning Glories and was made by Imao Keinen around 1930. It's a nice illustration for accompanying the haiku written by Chiyo-Ni which will follow here after.


asano eikou yoku baketto entanguru watashiha mizuwo motomeru



morning glory!
the well bucket-entangled,
I ask for water


This haiku is the most quoted haiku written by Chiyo-Ni, and it's one of her best haiku. Isn't it wonderful? Chiyo awakens early in the morning. As she arrives at the well she sees that the bucket is entangled with Morning Glories ... so she decides to ask her neighbor for water, because she will not disturb the Morning Glories in their beauty. Isn't it awesome? That's a real haiku poet, living with nature and caressing nature.

Chiyo-Ni our female haiku master was really a master and now I have to write another haiku inspired on the one by her. Is that possible ... it's a challenge which I will take upon me humbly in honor of Chiyo-Ni. I wrote the next haiku.


in the well bucket
Morning Glories float about my smile -
I feel like Chiyo-Ni

I feel like Chiyo-Ni
the wooden fence overgrown
with Morning Glories




Morning Glories
have overgrown the wooden fence
I take the back one

Another one, a last one:

one single Morning Glory
along the path of the cloister
for just one day


What a delightful flower to write haiku about. I can sense Chiyo-Ni in this short series on Morning Glories ... it's really awesome.
Have fun, be inspired and creative ... Share your haiku, inspired by the one of Chiyo-Ni, with us here on Carpe Diem.

This Special will stay on 'till February 17th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode, Bell (provided by Dulcina of Dulcina's Garden), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).




9 comments:

  1. Nice introduction to today's topic. Maybe I'll add another picture if I'll find the one. Hope to see more entries tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully haiku, by you and Chiyo-Ni and you Kristjaan :-) have a very good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and haiku about the beautiful morning glory and Chiyo-ni! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post today and haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always wonder on the Special haiku whether we are to write haiku in the 'style of' Chiyo or use the topic Morning Glory for instance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Carol, the special haiku is just meant for inspiration whether you write a haiku in the style of the haiku masteror on it's theme doesn't really matter. Just enjoy and be inspired. Namaste.

      Delete
  6. Nice set, Chev. Especially the cloister 'ku. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was ... and still am ... so happy that the prompt for my birthdate (15)
    was a cheerful prompt....a scene I look forward to every summer, in a
    small village I visit once a week.
    Peace,
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was AWOL for a week and now catching up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete