Monday, April 24, 2017

carpe Diem #1196 (theme week 2) Akebia Blossom (Akebi no hana)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I had a very busy day so that's why I have chosen to take the easy way today. I love to inspire you with an image of our classical kigo for today, Akebia Blossom. And a little bit background on this beauty.

Akebia is a cold hardy climber with fragrant blooms and sweet purple fruit. It's native to Japan where it grows wild in the forest. In late spring, chocolate-pink blossoms bloom in clusters against delicate lacy foliage. In fall, fat lavender fruit appear. They're incredibly sweet, even more impressive than the flowers. It thrives in dappled sun or full shade (few vines bloom in the shade) and isn't fussy about soil, though it prefers even moisture. Evergreen in mild winters, it loses its leaves in cold climates, but the twining woody branches are handsome even when bare.
It is said that the blossoms are having a chocolate perfume ....

Akebia Blossom (image found on Pinterest)
I have sought for examples of haiku in which this kigo is used, but I couldn't find any. So it looks like we are the first to use it as a kigo.

I wasn't inspired enough, so maybe I will post my own response later on.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until April 29th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, butterbur, later on. For now .... have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment