Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Carpe Diem #1457 luxurance (shigeri)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It will not be easy to "translate" this kigo for you all, because it's a "rare" kigo and I even don't know if I have written it the correct way. Today's classical kigo is taken from the sub-division plants and I will try to explain it to you.

Luxurance (shigeri) is specifical used to describe the beauty of foliage, the beauty of the richness of for example the Wisteria, the Willow or other beautiful trees, bushes and flowers that are in full bloom. Isn't that richness? The beauty of nature that we are celebrating in every haiku or tanka.

Luxurance (shigeri) of foliage, nature is beautiful

Nature is beautiful and a rich source of inspiration. Well ... I think I will  write no more to explain our today's kigo luxurance (shigeri).

I found two nice haiku written by Buson (1716-1784) in which this kigo is used as I explained it:

sake jyuuda yuri mote yuku ya natsu kodachi

ten horses carrying loads of sake,
swinging, pass by a thicket
of trees in full summer foliage. 


© Yosa Buson (Tr. by Shoji Kumano)

izuko yori tsubute uchi kemu natsu kodachi

from nowhere
stone was thrown into a thick of trees
in full summer foliage. 


© Yosa Buson (Tr. by Shoji Kumano)

Two beauties by this haiku master, one of the five most famous classical haiku masters. He (Buson) was not only a haiku poet, but also a great haiga-painter. And ... he followed in the steps of Basho who he admired. He created haiga for the first edition of "the small road into the deep north", the most famous haibun ever.

Miscanthus

I have tried to catch this beautiful kigo in my haiku, but I couldn't come up with a good one. So I decided to dive into my archives and found a nice haiku in which this kigo, isn't visibly used, but can be found.

swaying in the breeze
like waves in the ocean
Miscanthus leaves

© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until June 26th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our new episode,  short night (mijikayo), later on. For now ... have fun!
And here is the winter kigo for our friends on the Southern Hemisphere, withered mums (karegiku)


1 comment:

  1. I like Hamish's haiku at his Forest Bathing but just don"t know how to post a comment there

    much love...

    ReplyDelete