Thursday, June 21, 2018

Carpe Diem #1459 evening lull (yuunagi)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today summer starts and that makes me happy and I love to dance and sing in praise of summer, in praise of nature, wonderful and beautiful nature. Nature ... the source for all haiku poets. It's one of the main themes of the classical haiku and that's what we are exploring this month through the classical kigo of summer (and winter).

Today's summer kigo is evening lull (yuunagi) and I think this is what gave me the idea of dancing and singing to celebrate summer.

I had some trouble with todays kigo evening lull, but after some web-surfing I ran into the translation of lull. It turned out that it means pause, silence, repose, peace, stillness and tranquility. So yuunagi means evening peace, silent evening or so.

evening lull (yuunagi)
The above image, is that evening lull? A serene beach somewhere in Japan, the rippling of the water, the sun downing ... maybe a few seagulls that sre crying, maybe a faraway sound of a temple bell ... Yes ... this is (in my opinion) evening lull.

Here are a few haiku I have taken from my archives, just taking the easy way this time, forgive me.

deep silence
listening to the song of cicadas -
sultry summer night

evening lull
the sweet scent of Honeysuckle
arouses the senses

on the beach
around the campfire -
rippling waves

entwined bodies
in love on the beach -
evening lull

© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until June 28th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our new episode, a weekend-meditation, later on. For now ... have fun!

Here is the kigo for winter to work with on the Southern Hemisphere: winter grove (fuyu kodachi)


No comments:

Post a Comment