Sunday, December 9, 2012

Carpe Diem #66, Winter Camellia (kantsubaki)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today we are leaving 'early winter' and start with 'mid-winter', the second ten days of our December month on classical Japanese kigo. Our first 'mid-winter' prompt is Winter Camellia.
Camellias are evergreen shrubs, bloom in autumn and winter, and very popular because of their great beauty because of their flowers, form and also foliage. They grow in a habit form, have glossy leaves and exquisitve form. Most Camellias at first were imported from Europe but now are grown in gardens from southeastern Virginia thru the Carolinas to Florida an along the Gulf Coast and even along the Pacific coast.

Credits: Camellia

What a wonderful flower this is ... the Camellia ... so fragile and beautiful. Another picture of a Camellia.

Credits: Camellia in Winter (Kyoto)
Awesome, just awesome ...

I found a few nice haiku on Camellia written by Issa:

pachi-pachi to tsubaki saki keri sumi keburi
 

snap and crackle
the Camellia blooms
the coal fire smokes

(c) Issa - 1803

amatsusae umi e mukatte fuyu tsubaki

also facing
the sea ...
winter Camellias

(c) Issa - 1803

hi no me minu fuyu no tsubaki no saki ni keri

without seeing sunlight
the winter Camellia
blooms

(c) Issa - 1803

All wonderfully crafted haiku ... especially the last one I enjoyed very much ... it's a masterpiece I think.
Let's try it myself  

loaded with snow
the deep red Camellia
in the backyard



in the shadow
of the snow packed pine
a Camellia 

winter colors
Camellias blooming -
snow falls

I love it, I love it ... what a joy to write haiku inspired on this classical Japanese Kigo ... really it's a joy. I hope that you, my dear haijin, do love it too.

This prompt will stay on 'till December 11th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new prompt New Year's Eve (toshi no yo) around 10.00 PM (CET) today.



9 comments:

  1. Lovely haiku Kristjaan, and the pictures are out of this world. I saw the translation snow camellia when I googled, and I might use that instead. Now back to writing. Thanks again for the wonderful prompts, and explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos. Love all Issa's "facing the sea" haiku. Love both your haikus. Excellent.

    I need to go back to the drawing board on my own haiku. I've never mixed snow thoughts with camellias. It never snows in Southern California, but I know these plants well, they get as tall as small trees.

    One interesting fact I picked up while writing about camellias is that they are related to the tea plant "camellia sinensis."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once more thanks for your beautiful images and interesting explanations, Kristjaan.
    I love your snow camellia, very beautiful haiku indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "loaded with snow"...for some reason it stands out for me amongst the wonderful images and words that surround it. Funny how one language can have so many different effects and meanings on people.
    Like Lolly, we don't see much snow here in Brisbane, but we have camellias which we were always told thrived on having cold tea poured into their pots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words. I am grateful to be your host here on Carpe Diem.

    Hosting a meme
    writing every day haiku
    rooted in the Far East

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you as always Kristjaan. I love your words and images.
    Like Lolly, we don;t get much snow in Brisbane, but we have Camellias.
    On her note about Tea...we are told that Camellia's love to be feed cold tea in their pots...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an interesting prompt...a new winter bloom for me to know about.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend who named her daughter Camellia. A lovely prompt to brighten a winter day. Thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful prompt to brighten a winter's day. Thank-you

    ReplyDelete