Monday, December 10, 2012

Carpe Diem #67, New Year's Eve (toshi no yo)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

We are gliding into our second part of this Carpe Diem month with classical kigo. The next ten days the kigo which I have chosen are all kigo for mid winter. In the middle of winter the year is changing and we have New Year's Eve (toshi no yo). New Year''s Eve is our prompt for today.

In classical Japan (following the Lunar calender) there was a fifth season ''New Year", and this season was from approximately 20 december 'til 20 January. I have a few haiku which have been written for this season:

I have selected a few haiku from other haiku poets than the ones I have used 'til now:

the Great Morning:
winds of long ago
blow through the pine trees

(c) Onitsura

The Great Morning is the morning of New Year's Day.

for this New Year's Day
the sightwe gaze upon shall be
Mount Fuji

(c) Sokan

And a last one:

the first sunrise
there is a cloud
like a cloud in a picture

(c) Shusai

All wonderful haiku on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.


OK ... let's do it myself ...

after New Year's Eve
life hasn't changed a bit -
another year gone


listen! listen!
the sweet silence
the day after


New Year's Eve
fireworks enlightens the sky -
bad ghosts flee


This prompt will stay on 'till december 12th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post the new Carpe Diem Special today around 10.00 PM (CET). Another wonderful haiku written by our haiku master of this month Buson.

This is the new Special haiku:

adabana wa ame ni utarete uri batake

fruitless blossoms
are beaten by the rain
in the melon fields


Have fun, be inspired and share your creativity with Carpe Diem. By the way: I have a busy week, so it's possible that I haven't time to comment on your post. I will catch up later on.



14 comments:

  1. Hi, Kristjaan! While attending a course on hygienics(all week long!) today, I had some spare time to prepare some haiku. I didn't find a picture of fireworks, so I'll have to look for it at home, as I've made some pictures at the "Rhine on Flames" in Cologne about two years ago. Thanks for the nice introduction for today's haiku meme.
    PS. I think I have to link it twice and then it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sad I am not getting time to write at all for Carpe diem !
    next week hopefully !

    *fingers crossed*
    lovely prompts and images being used here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristjaan, this was a difficult prompt i think, despite the wonderful haiku you've written. Well I did find a nice woodblock print as illustration at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A continued thanks for such an interesting blog - I enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristjaan
    A continued thanks for such a interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I hit send on the post, I realized I was off on the prompt...New Years Eve, not New Years Day. Will put my thinking cap on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well penned haiku ~ like the 'silence' and bad ghosts flee (nice thought to think would happen) Move on with the new ` thanks again for hosting ~ (A Creative Harbor) aka artmusedog and Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a difficult prompt. I had to rely on Scotland to find something to write about as they have some interesting traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did I mention that the "listen, listen" haiku is my favorite. I wish I was there to "hear' the silence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't find my pictures of the fireworks, yet. Will be looking on another PC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear friends,

    What an amazingly nice haiku I have read on New Year's Eve. Thank you all for your kind words and participation in Carpe Diem's daily haiku meme.
    Makes me humble and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just finished reading all of your haiku - interesting and stimulating ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, Kris!! You are a walking "wealth of information"! :)
    Thank you again for hosting with such lovely and challenging prompts!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. after New Year's Eve
    life hasn't changed a bit -

    so true, Kristjaan!
    The spirit of the old year is present in your three nice haiku.
    I have enjoyed your selection, thanks for your kindness.
    :)

    ReplyDelete