Saturday, January 12, 2013

Carpe Diem #94, Jazz



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I will start with a (as I call it) 'Thank You'- haiku. Why? Well I am grateful for all the love, nice words and prayers you all offered to me while my mother was in hospital. Next monday hopefully she will be that much recovered that she can go home. After that, of course, medical rehabilitation(?) to recover fully, but that will be taking time.

heart full of love
mind full of thoughts and words
thank you all


OK ... back to this episode of Carpe Diem ... it's all on Jazz ...
When I was 18 or 19 yrs I visited Berlin (back in that time The Wall was still standing) with my Highschool, it was for learning the German language and culture. I enjoyed that visit very much and one night we (my school mates and I) went to a so called 'Jazz-Keller' (in English I think it's 'jazz cellar'.) were on that moment a Jazz singer performed live on stage and it was awesome. I can't remember the name of that Jazz singer, but I loved it very much. I think from that moment on I became a Jazz addict.





Jazz is my kind of music it gives me a feeling of freedom.

Jazz is a musical style that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States. It was born out of a mix of African and European music traditions. Its West African pedigree is evident in its use of blue notes, improvisation, poly-rhythms, syncopation and the swung note. From its early development until the present day, jazz has also incorporated music from American popular music.

I am not inspired today. I am in the nightshift and a bit tired, but I have found a few nice haiku on Jazz on the WWW. The next two haiku are written by Van G. Garrett, a writer, photographer, and teacher from Houston, TX can best be described as a “contemporary courier of creativity.”


bless the child whose got
a song, a soul, a something
worth crying about



supreme j. coltrane
saxophoning in the dark
her head on my chest



(c) Van G. Garrett - 12 Jazz haiku



Have fun, be inspired and share your creativity with us here on Carpe Diem. This prompt will stay on 'till January 14th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new prompt 'Blues' later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).


8 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that your mom will be able to come home soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your Mom is 'on the mend' ~ sending more distant healing 'reiki' hugs for you and your family ~ Great haiku ~ I too am a jazz fan ~ but my haiku idea came from a play and movie All That Jazz

    ( A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these are pretty neat examples! and hey it's great news that your mom's coming home soon.. yes, takes a lot of patience and prayers, i know and have been there too. and i hope her recuperation and rehab would be successful ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy news, good! Lovely and touching 'Thank You' haiku.
    Garrett's words are nice too.
    I must admit I don't like jazz with an only exception, Nora Jones.
    ..................
    thank you Lord
    with all our ♥ hearts ♥
    Mom ♥ home on Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news ! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for your mom. Aging parents is a sorrow that's hard to bear. I love your second haiku. I had big difficulties with this one.. But finally got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a tricky one. One of our local radio stations plays jazz in the evening during the week, when I drive home. But still I think it's a hard topic for haiku.
    Best wishes for your mum's rehab. Look out that she doesn't listen to "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your heart is full, and also glad that you still manage to find the time and energy to host Carpe Diem. May your heart always be full and your energy never flag!

    ReplyDelete