Thursday, May 21, 2015

Carpe Diem #737 since the cherry blossoms


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I haven't enough time today to write a long episode so this time I have chosen to create a small piece. I think you all know that I love cherry blossoms, I have written a lot of haiku about them, so the haiku for today is just great to make, because it's about cherry trees.

As Basho started with his journey into the deep north he got a lot of gifts from his friends and he also got a few wonderful haiku to encourage him to see special places worth seeing. One of them friends was Kyohaku. Kyohaku gave him a farewell gift in the form of a haiku:

Takekuma's
pine shows him
late cherries

© Kyohaku

The pine of Takekuma was famous in poem and fact because it was split into two trunks. In an earlier version of this poem the first five sound units were: chiri-useru "cherry blossoms have completely fallen away.

since the cherry blossoms
I've waited three months to see
the twin-trunk pine

© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

I wasn't inspired enough so I just leave you with this (short) episode.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until May 24th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our next episode, not permitted to tell, later on. For now ... just have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for all you do. I hope your inspiration returns soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pines and cherries - a great mix! Kristjaan, today I posted my first in a series of review posts, where I analyse selected haiku by our colleagues - and you do not escape, dear CDHK Master! This post is titled Four Cherries Blossoms today. Added to this, please drag the cursor over the picture on my post to get the colour version...fancy..eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, I wasn't able to comment directly on your blog - though I could and did like it very much ... and I discovered I have a Tumbler account to which I reblogged your post. A very interesting exercise indeed! I enjoyed how you analyzed the haiku bringing out the points which one feels make for good haiku writing. Ciao, Bastet

      Delete
    2. What a surprise to find one of my haiku appearing on your blog, Tinker! Glad you enjoyed it. I wish I could tell you directly, but I don't have a Tumblr account, so this indirect thanks will have to suffice. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Time to reflect on the beauty that is fleeting in the cherry blossom.
    Thanks Kristjaan
    Also a quick reminder: The poetry book "A Song for Liberia" will be closing submissions next week. If anyone wants to submit haiku or poetry there is still time. The poems are making a lovely song...

    ReplyDelete