Friday, May 22, 2015

Carpe Diem Tan Renga Challenge #86, Basho's "this autumn"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Time flies ... it's Friday again so time for a new Tan Renga Challenge in which I challenge you to write the second stanza towards the (incomplete) Tan Renga which I will give the first stanza (hokku) of. In this "Basho-month" all the Tan Renga Challenges are starting with a "hokku" by Basho and this week I have a nice haiku for you to start with. It's one who Basho wrote in the last months of his life. That feeling of death is very well described in this haiku, I easily could sense that feeling of dying ...

this autumn
why getting older is like
a bird into clouds


© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

I think you all can see, feel, sense that feeling of departure, the feeling that death is closing in .... It will not be an easy task I think to complete this Tan Renga by putting the second stanza (two lines following 7-7 syllables) towards it, but .... well that's the challenge ...

Credits: Clouds
And here is my attempt to make this Tan Renga complete by putting the second stanza towards it:

this autumn
why getting older is like
a bird into clouds
                 (Basho)

colorful leaves swirl
cover up an old grave
          (Chèvrefeuille)

I have tried to associate on the feeling of death and dying with this second stanza and I think it makes the Tan Renga complete.

This Tan Renga Challenge is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Friday May 29th at noon (CET). Have fun!



1 comment:

  1. I don't know why but I love this particular exercise. And I really feel how this speaks toward "the end" for Basho. You did another great job here, Chèvrefeuille!

    ReplyDelete