Thursday, October 27, 2016

Carpe Diem #1080 fountain pen


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

This wonderful 4th anniversary month is running towards its end. We seen wonderful photos by Paul Militaru and have read wonderful haiku and tanka by Kala Ramesh, Jane Reichhold and Herman van Rompuy. They all inspired you and I am so happy that we could celebrate our 4th anniversary. I am looking forward to another year of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.
This month all our regular prompts were tools for art and creativity and the last two regulars are both for writing and that's what we all do here. We all write, not only letters or novels, but also haiku and tanka. Haiku and tanka are creative ways of writing and today's prompt fits that like a glove. Today I love to challenge you with fountain pen. "Fountain pen" is the English translation of the Dutch word "vulpen", a kind of pen in which you have to use ink refills, you have to fill the pen with them. As I read the translation of "vulpen" "fountain pen" I was amazed and thought "Why is it called a fountain pen". I couldn't retrieve the origin of this word, but I like its name. It sounds awesome and I immediately thought "this is a pen from which the inspiration flows like a fountain". I hope this prompt, fountain pen, will let your inspiration flow.

Fountain Pen
Several of you have already written a haiku inspired on this prompt, but one had my attention immediately as I read it. That one was by Ese (a.k.a. Noor on Twitter), she wrote the following haiku inspired on " fountain pen":

was it fountain pen splashing the black stains on butterfly' s wings

© Ese (a.k.a. Noor)

Of course this means not that you don't have to visit her, its just to give you an idea what to do with this regular prompt "fountain pen". I had some difficulties with this prompt, but difficulties are to be overcome ... isn't that also what life asks from us? So here is my attempt to create a haiku with this prompt:

hand moves slowly a fountain of letters appears on a blank leave

© Chèvrefeuille


Japanese Brush fountain pen

Another one, a tanka:

meditating monk 
releases his realization 
characters appear  
one by one they form 
a koan of love

© Chèvrefeuille

With this tanka I conclude this episode. This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until November 1st at noon (CET). I will try to post our next episode, the last Imagination With Paul Militaru episode, later on.


1 comment: