Friday, February 19, 2016

Carpe Diem #921 Absurdity / Humor


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a very delayed episode of our regular CDHK prompts in which we are exploring the senses together with Hamish Gunn.
Here at CDHK the prompt "absurdity / humor" has been listed earlier in our existence and maybe you can remember that I am not a haiku poet who uses humor and absurdity in his haiku, so I am looking forward to your responses.

Introduction

Of course I have tried to write haiku with a kind of humor in it. Before I met Jane Reichhold I would call those haiku, senryu, but "senryu" is not a broad accepted name.


it's a strange sight
like a waterfall they fall
drunken sailors

along the seashore
hand in hand with the love of my life
a seagull shits on my head

© Chèvrefeuille
 
Absurdity / Humor
 
Hamish on Absurdity / Humor

Humor comes in many flavors, any of which may appeal to one person but not to another, and which may be enjoyed in alternation or in combination. Here are names and descriptions of the different kinds of humor:
Anecdotal - refers to comic personal stories that may be true or partly true but embellished.
Blue -also called  risque or broad humor, which refers to unrestrained, unsubtle humor often marked by coarse jokes and sexual situations.
Burlesque, or Slapstick - Ridicules by imitating with caricature, or exaggerated characterization.
Deadpan/Dry - Delivered with an impassive, expressionless, matter-of-fact presentation.
Farcical - Comedy based on improbable coincidences and with satirical elements, punctuated at times with overwrought, frantic action.
High/highbrow - Humor pertaining to cultured, sophisticated themes.
Droll, or Ironic/Absurd - Humor involving incongruity and discordance with norms, in which the intended meaning is opposite, or nearly opposite, to the literal meaning.
Mordant - Caustic or biting humor
Parodic - Comic imitation often intended to ridicule an author, an artistic endeavor, or a genre.
Self-deprecating - Humor in which performers target themselves and their foibles or misfortunes for comic effect.
Stand-up - A form of comedy delivery in which a comic entertains an audience with jokes and humorous stories.
Writing a humorous haiku is no easy task. But it is worth trying, and giving your haiku humor, using perhaps one of the techniques outlined above.

My response
Humor ... not really my "cup of tea", but as you could read above I have tried to write haiku with humor in it. Here is another attempt and I think it's in the "anecdotal"  way:

proud like a peacock
the  businessman steps around
stumbles over the sill

© Chèvrefeuille
This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until February 22nd at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, sight (colors), later on. By the way, our next episode of our first CDHK Theme Week I will publish also later today, sorry for the delay.

3 comments:

  1. I often have problems and cannot make comments on Forest Tinkers blogs. One must sign in with twitter or facebook and then the blog will reach all your friends and so on - I don't want to sign in with my twitter or facebook acount It's a pity :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://blogitorloseit.com/2016/02/20/jisei/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at Chèvrefeuille's [along the seashore ...] and was fortunate to be alone when I was blasted by a well-fed seagull long ago. It really is a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete