Thursday, February 4, 2016

Carpe Diem Vernacular, with a twist #1 the old pond


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

As you all know not so long ago (last month) I introduced "Carpe Diem Vernacular" to you all. In that special feature I asked you to share haiku in your own language (vernacular). You all embraced that new feature and that made me confident to create another kind of "Carpe Diem Vernacular" ... Today this is the first episode of this idea.
I have called this "new" special feature "Carpe Diem Vernacular ... with a twist" and the goal is to (try to) translate a classical haiku from it's "classic" language to a haiku in your own language. This means that I will challenge you to "translate" a Japanese classical haiku, in Japanese, into your own language.

Let me give you an example:

For this example I have chosen that famous "frogpond" haiku by (my master) Matsuo Basho. Let me first give you the original classical version:

furu ike ya kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto

the old pond;
a frog jumps in —
the sound of the water


© Basho (Tr. R.H.Blyth)

I have to give the English translation, because I don't think you all can read Japanese (Romaji). Translation can be literal, but it can also be done figuratively. Maybe you have  a certain feeling as you read this haiku. Let that feeling be part of your translation, or just translate it literal. That choice is up to you.

Credits: frog / kikker (Dutch website)

I have given it a try myself ... I have tried to translate it figuratively, with feeling so to say:

falling water
resonates through the mountains
frog's shadow


© Chèvrefeuille

In Dutch:

vallend water
echoot door de bergen
kikker schaduw 

© Chèvrefeuille

Why did I choose for this figuratively translation? I imagined that old pond in my mind. And the first image which came in mind was a "waterfall" somewhere in the mountains. Mountains can make the sound of the falling water stronger and than I saw in hte corner of my eye a frog jump away, just a shadow. This "path" brought me to that version of the famous "frogpond" haiku.

For this first episode of "Carpe Diem Vernacular with a twist" I love to challenge you to "translate" this famous "frogpond" haiku. I am looking forward to your "translation".


This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Thursday February 11th at noon (CET). Have fun!


1 comment: