Friday, February 26, 2016

Carpe Diem Special #199 Hamish's 5th a teaser


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

First this: Yesterday I got an email by Georgia (a.k.a. Bastet). She told me that Jen (a.k.a. Paloma) is in the hospital. She couldn't tell me why, but Jen had said not to worry. So I wish to ask you all to pray for Jen's recovery. From my side "Get well soon Jen, I will send you my love and prayers".

Today we have the last CD-Special by Hamish Managua Gunn (a.k.a. Pirate) and for this CD-Special I have chosen a kikobun from his new CDHK e-book "Shinrin-Yoku (the Art of Forest Bathing)" which I hope to make available this weekend here at our Haiku Kai. You can see this kikobun from "Shinrin-Yoku" as a teaser.

Here is what Professor Peipei Qiu, The Author of Bashô and the Dao says about kikôbun:

[...] ‛The Japanese literary travel journal (kikôbun) has been closely related to poetry. It characteristically weaves poems and the introductory narratives in a sequential order. The travel journals that existed before Bashô were often written in a first-person voice, with the traveler's itinerary revolving around the classical poetic toponym (utamakura or meisho) and the narrative centering on poems composed about them. This fusion with poetry simultaneously enriched and limited the literary representation of the landscape of the kikôbun; when centering on classical poetic diction, the geographical imagination of the travel journal was often defined by conceptions and conventions that had been molded by classical poetry rather than by the physical qualities of landscape.’ [...]
Pine Tree

The aroma of pine, a kikobun

It is true that my own log cabin in the wilderness has no lock. No lock means a certain feeling of freedom. But freedom must be fed to flourish. It is not something you can give up, when your health suffers, or finances run low. You must build up your beliefs and values and experience them, and learn to learn them from others. That is the real reason get in touch with nature, for walking in a forest also means stepping away from civilization and its many pitfalls.
With my bag over my shoulder, I pause at my front door and carefully put a haiku in three lines on the wood for the departure, with small paintbrush and dark paint.

the aroma of pine
and the young morning’s fresh rain
reach my words

© Hamish Managua Gunn


A wonderful kikobun. Hamish is really a master in this Japanese genre of poetry. In his forest he finds his inspiration and that's why he has chosen "Shinrin-Yoku" as the title of his CDHK e-book.

I hope you will enjoy the read and of course ... Shinrin-Yoku can also be performed in your own neighborhood or a forest close by.

Shinrin-Yoku cover designed by Ese of Ese's Voice 

The goal of the CD-Specials is to write / compose a haiku, or maybe in this case, a kikobun in the same spirit as the featured poet.

This kikobun inspired me to write a "double tanka" (as Georgia calls it):

in touch with the gods
pine trees reaching for heaven -
skylarks sing their song
high against the bright blue sky
in honor of the gods

in honor of the gods
pine trees and skylarks together
reaching for heaven
sending up my prayers and become
in touch with the gods

© Chèvrefeuille

This CD-Special is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until February 29th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, Synesthesia, later on. For now, have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know. Will say prayers for Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to Jen (a.k.a. Paloma) for a speedy recovery.

    I seem to have got into a groove with blossom and shadorma rather than pine and kikobun. I hope that's OK :)

    ReplyDelete