Sunday, July 3, 2016

Carpe Diem Utabukuro #13



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of Carpe Diem Utabukuro, the special feature in which you may choose your own favorite haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form. This can be written by a classical or modern haiku poet or yourself.


Tell us why that specific haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form is one of your favorites and try to write an all new haiku inspired on the verse of your choice. This week I have chosen a beauty by Basho. As you all know I am a big fan of Basho, and I see him as my master, and every haiku written by him is my favorite, but there are a few which I like the very most. For this week ... one of my favorites by Basho:


morning glories
in the daytime a lock
upon the gate


© Basho (1644-1694)


In summer 1693 Basho decided to lock himself up. He would like to think over is his life and closed the gate to his home. You can see this as a retreat. He needed to seek closure for his life as a haiku master. During the months of July and August, Basho closed his gate to visitors. Because the morning glory flower closes up during the day.

Honeysuckle (the English translation of my penname)

As I read this haiku for the very first time I had the idea myself to go on a retreat, but that's not my way of living. I love people around me and I, for sure, will not close my gate for visitors. I am the opposite of Basho. I embrace the people around me. I can't live without them. Of course ... I take sometimes a few days for myself, but that's more to come to myself, to get new energy and inspiration.

a few days
to become myself
and be inspired

the Honeysuckle
in front of my house
guards the gate


© Chèvrefeuille

I am looking forward to your favorites.

This Utabukuro episode is open at noon (CET) and will remain open until July 8th at noon (CET). Have fun!



1 comment:

  1. Carpe Diem Utabukuro # 13:

    I have chosen this haiku because I am surrounded by wildflower meadows...

    field guide
    lost somewhere among
    the wildflowers Steve Sanfield

    My offering:

    butterflies flutter
    from petal to petal
    as we pass

    ReplyDelete