Friday, March 1, 2013

Carpe Diem #134, Sae Kaeru (return of the cold)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Our new Carpe Diem month has started and I have read wonderful haiku inspired on 'Risshun', our prompt of yesterday. I think it isn't easy to write haiku inspired on classical Japanese kigo (seasonwords), but you all succeeded. So let's go and look at our new classical Japanese kigo for today, Sae Kaeru (return of the cold).
Unless it's Spring, sometimes the cold returns to nature. As we say in The Netherlands "Aprilletje zoet geeft nog wel eens een witte hoed", this adage means something like "Unless it's April, sometimes it will snow". Snow is in my opinion a sign of cold and so Sae Kaeru can mean 'Spring Snow' or 'Spring Frost'.


Tulips in the snow
coloring a white blanket -
returning cold

Tulips, our National Flower, are everywhere in Spring and in a lot of colors. So when it snows it looks like a colorful blanket in my garden. A few years ago we had a lot of snow around Easter, than occurring in April. This year Easter is end March so who knows ... maybe again snow. We will see.


soft green leaves
covered with white powder
Spring snow

Spring snow falls softly
I hear birds sing in joy
colorful cityparc


It's really not easy to write haiku with these classical kigo, but it's a joy to try and see that even in our modern times that classical kigo working out. I hope that you all are inspired to write haiku with these kigo and I am looking forward to all your wonderful little gems.

This prompt will stay on 'till March 3rd 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode of Carpe Diem, Hina Matsuri (Doll Festival), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).






11 comments:

  1. Wonderful prompt, and yor haiku are great. I love the season words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice presentation - really like these season prompts also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one with the birds and the park especially--so meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can just see those tulips popping color through the snowy blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your haiku on this prompt Kristjaan.
    Is there a season word for end of summer endless rain? That's what we've been having in Brisbane as I write :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving these, educationandexploration

    ReplyDelete
  7. You Have post Such A very Nice COntent,Keep It Up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature provided me with the inspiration I needed to go with your
    wonderful prompt.
    Thank you,
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) Great prompt! I'm sorry to have been gone a while!

    ReplyDelete