Sunday, March 3, 2013

Carpe Diem #136, Haru Ichiban (First Spring Gust)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

When I started this daily haiku meme I wasn't aware of the time it would need. Surely this month, with all those classical Japanese kigo for Spring will take time. It's an every day struggle to provide you, my dear friends, with a daily post with some explanation of the kigo. But ... it's a joy to prepare these post every day and I hope that I will be a good host (and haiku master) for you all.
Today we share haiku on Haru Ichiban (First Spring Gust) first I thought this is about rain, but that isn't what is meant with gust, it's about strong wind or storm. Haru Ichiban is the first strong south wind in Spring this is followed by 2nd, 3rd and 4th south wind (haru niban, haru sanban and haru yenban). This is usually quite a strong storm or gusty wind on the coast of the East side of Japan, toward the end of February and the beginning of March. It used to be a kind of negative kigo partaining to the hardships of the fishermen in Nagasaki. Later on, it became more positive, since after haru ichiban, we know that Spring is coming.


Credits: Ukai, cormorant fishing


Japanese cormorant fishers use wild-caught cormorants (birds) to catch fish and deliver them to their handlers. This unusual fishery has been practiced in several parts of the world, including Japan, China, Europe and Peru. In Japan, cormorant fishing is known as ukai. These fishers have practiced their craft for at least 1,300 years and were noted in the earliest Japanese records (Taihou Ritsuryou no Koseki, Legal Code and Family Records, 702 AD, and the Kojiki, Record of Ancient Matters, 712 AD)


I haven't found a haiku on haru ichiban, but I found a wonderful haiku written by Buson about 'fisherman':

tsuribitono jouno kowasayo yuushigure

The old fisherman
unalterably intent . . .
Cold evening rain


When I sought the Internet I ran into this wonderful haiku about haru ichiban I don't know who wrote it, I couldn't retrieve the haiku poet of this one:


strong yet a warm wind
can`t escape from the loud noise
haru ichiban


It's a nice haiku and I hope that the poet who has written it will forgive me using it.

Another one written by Madoka Mayuzumi:

Haru ichiban ashita no watashi o tsurete kuru

Accompanying
spring's first storm the person
I can be tomorrow


Well ... now I have to write a new haiku on haru ichiban ... I will try to ...

first southern wind
makes the fisherman anxious -
Spring is coming

Spring is coming
with the first southern wind
scent of Cherry blossom




I am glad, so glad to see that I have conquered this classical Japanese kigo, haru ichiban, for Spring. I hope that you all are inspired and I am looking forward to the haiku you have written on haru ichiban (first Spring gust).

This prompt will stay on 'till March 5th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode, Usurai (thin ice),  later on today around 10.00 PM (CET). Have fun, be inspired and share ... have a good day.






11 comments:

  1. Kristjaan, it's such a joy to do this every day. And your articles provide so much info. I usually write my haiku before reading your articles, and sometimes I feel I should have changed them, but other time I feel I could interpret them in my own ways, So I get 2 ways understanding, I found a nice children's book theme again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your discussion you led on the page was wonderful again, ending with very nice haiku. The scent of cherry blossom is a nice thought in mind..

    ReplyDelete
  3. the time you spend documenting kigo and posting is appreciated - though I'm new around, I've grown fond of your blog and meme - just as the precious inspiration your writing prvides. I think the others agree with me.

    greetings and thanks from Romania! Have a wonderful day filled with inspiration carried by mild spring wind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your research into the kigo words is very informative and often reveals layers of meaning not apparent in the English translation. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one by Madoka Mayuzumi is awesome. I can imagine how trying can it be coming up with a topic everyday and making so much efforts to dig in all these details.

    I appreciate your efforts and love for haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one was a challenge..I try to write before I read the other posts, and I really stalled mentally, ... it was good to have to really think on something that looked so simple...HA !
    Thank you for all the work you put into the posts, but if you are short on time, I for one will understand...
    Peace,
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristjaan - I'm so pleased to have been a small part of your wonderful Haiku Meme. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and exquisite Haiku with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post with lots of great info and photos ~ lovely cascading haiku ~ Do appreciate all you do for this haiku blog ~ Happy Week ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are holding onto our hats and skirts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been forgetting to comment here and have been visiting the others' each day. You have such a beautiful blog and I love the background for each haiku. Seeing your writing inspires me. Thank you for this special community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hallo! I discovered your blog when I was looking for information about Japan's spring winds.

    Ik ben een Zuid-Afrikaaner die in Tokio woont. Ik spreek Afrikaans en begrijp dus Nederlands. Ik kan bevestigen dat de lente wind vandaag sterk waait in Tokyo. (I don't know if my Dutch is correct. If not, my apologies!)

    I enjoy your haiku very much. Thank you! I'll definitely visit again!

    ReplyDelete