Friday, March 22, 2013

Carpe Diem #152, Hanagumori (Blossom Haze)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

We are busy with Late-Spring kigo, so the posts are all written as meant to be somewhere in June. Spring is almost over. I am already yearning for Summer, but we have to go a few days in this month of Carpe Diem. As I look back today to all those wonderful prompts we have had 'til now this month than I am happy. I have read wonderful haiku and have seen new contributors to our daily haiku meme, but also I saw a growing group of travelers by which are posting anonymous comments, mostly spammers and that makes me a bit sad. So I have to be stricter with my rules and that, my dear friends, visitors and travelers, isn't my kind of being.

Here are the rules:

  • If you post a haiku please share a comment on the post (of course if you like to comment)
  • Don't comment ANONYMOUS, every anonymous comment will be seen as SPAM and will be removed
  • As you post a haiku, please take care of the right URL to your post
  • Enjoy reading the posts
  • Enjoy writing haiku and sharing them with us
  • Haiku writing and composing has to be fun and not an obligation

It's sad that I have to do this, but I have to. As I always say "read the rules and than forget them" is also here with these rules, but I will make a page for these rules so they are always there to read again. Sorry for this dear friends, but .... well I can't do otherwise.




OK ... back to our prompt for today. Our kigo now are all of late -spring and so this one also is of late-spring, Hanagumori (Blossom Haze). What does this kigo tell us?
It's telling us that all blossoming trees are in full bloom and the view is like a haze, sometimes as mist occurs it gives the blossoms a magical, mysterious look.
Hanagumori is especially a kigo for cherry blossoms and so our haiku inspired on this kigo has to be about cherry blossoms, but as you know, rules you have to read once and than let them go. Feel free to compose your haiku without rules. So if you don't can write a haiku about cherry blossoms? Well ... all other blossom or flower or plant can be used of course (smiles).
I think this one isn't easy, but that makes it a challenge.

I found a wonderful haiku on Hamagumori (Blossom Haze) written by Narayanan Raghunathan, one of the co-founders of Wonder Haiku Worlds which I love to share here with you:

old man and woman
walk into the twilight sky -
blossom haze

(c) Narayanan Raghunathan

Or this one written by Michael Henry Lee:

blossom haze -
even the plum tree knows
when to let go

(c) Michael Henry Lee

As you can read these two are very different and not especially written about cherry blossom, so follow in their footsteps and enjoy just composing haiku right from your heart ... as I do.




blossom haze -
walking in the middle
of falling petals

Ah! those cherries
have to let go their blossoms -
blossom haze


Hm ... I like these two I hadn't thought that I could write/compose a haiku on this prompt, but it looks like I did it.
Well ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with our haiku community here on Carpe Diem. This prompt will stay on 'til March 24th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode, a Special by Onitsura, later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).

The new Carpe Diem Special haiku by Onitsura (1660-1738) is the following haiku:

saku-karani miru-karani hana no chiru-karani

the cherry-flowers bloom;

we gaze at them;
they fall, and ...







12 comments:

  1. Krisjaan this is a wonderful prompt... still so far in the future... and your haiku gives me a vivid tingle in the toes and wish for spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that some very rude people were posting spam. Is there some way of blocking a contribution until you are able to confirm whether or not they are actually posting haiku ? Just a thought..sad..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, your haiku are great! the theme, those blossoms are really inspiringQ can't wait for the blossom haze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the title of today's prompt is so beautiful. So sad when the blossoms fall. Ours usually fall within a month of blooming...not until late Spring as you say. Maybe a different kind of cherry blossom tree in Japan. Your haiku is lovely. How can haiku about cherry blossoms not be lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, you did it....wrote 2 wonderful haiku for your difficult prompt....I understand the posting issue, so I am okay with it.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were right--this was a hard one! And yes, the spam comments are a pain and I see them on big name sites, too. That's why I set my blog so I have to approve comments before they post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a blossom haze. Actually I love blossoms period. They always get my full attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. blossom haze -
    walking in the middle
    of falling petals

    This took me straight back to my wedding day, leaving a little 12th century country church with my beautiful bride and being covered in a confetti of petals.
    Lovely memories, thank you Kristjaan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walking in the middle of falling petals must be a special feeling. It must give you the feeling of change. Nice haiku. :-)

    I am sorry about the inconvenience you experience here on the site. Anonymous posters are really annoying. It is sad some only want to destroy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks
    Your haiku are so natural, a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another lovely post and delightful haiku that has me feeling surrounded by soft, gentle petals ~ Enjoy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting back in the groove...enjoying the prompts again.
    Peace
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete