Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Carpe Diem #149, Tsukushi (horsetail)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a wonderful Carpe Diem month we have this month. I have read such fine haiku, well penned and composed ... really it's a joy to make this daily haiku meme for you all. And it's even a bigger joy to see that our little haiku community is growing step by step.

Today we share haiku on Tsukushi (horsetail) it's a fragile kind of grass and it can grow very big. It looks like a christmastree, same shape, same color, but without all the lights and ornaments.


Credits: Horsetail

In my country (The Netherlands) we have also a weed called 'paardestaart'(Dutch for horsetail) it's a kind of orchid that looks like a horse's tail.


Horsetail (Europe)

It's really a wonderful kind of weed. So let's go do some haiku composing on this prompt, that will not be easy, but ... well it's fun ...


floating with the stream
christmastree without lights and ornaments
horsetail bouquet

colorful sight
along the country road
a row of horsetail


Not very strong these haiku, but that second one (how immodest) has become a wonderful haiku, as I may say so.
Well .... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here on Carpe Diem's daily haiku meme.

This prompt will stay on 'till March 21th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our first episode with late-spring kigo (seasonswords), Higan (Spring equinox), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).





8 comments:

  1. Wonderful.. I love horsetail, In sweden it comes in summer and grows in the woods and have a very nice light green color. It's closer related to ferns than grasses actually. But very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you...that second one is quite pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know the horsetail, so I used Wikipedia to learn. And it seems to be two plants, both living near water, which are not related but which are superficially similar, creating some confusion. The one is called horsetail. The other one is called mare’s tail. The horsetail reproduces by spores. The mare’s tail reproduces by seed. In Norway, the mare’s tail is what we call “horsetail”. The English horsetail has a totally different name in Norway. So it is a bit confusing. Anyhow, a horsetail is what it is.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without your description, would not have found photo of your Christmas Tree like horsetail. Several kinds. But inspired by photo and research. Your haiku so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ended up doing it about a different kind of horse tail--I did it before you posted and then forgot to look back until just now. I suspected it was the grass I found on Wikipedia but couldn't find anything to say--I am not at all familiar with this plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was a great and difficult prompt. I knew what horsetail was but I think I wouldn't have thought soo soon to write a haiku about it. as always, amazing work and well documented articles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a hard prompt. And I had difficulties to find my picture, which I took last year in early spring. Thanks for keeping us busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hit a head end on this one.
    The prompt, I understood, but words escaped me.
    Tonight I've posted my effort...the thinking and
    pondering gave me a better understanding of the
    members of this family of plants.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete