Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Carpe Diem Ghost Writer #41, Soliloquy No Renga "the spring wind!"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

The first quarter of 2015 all Wednesdays were for Haiku Writing Techniques (which are now available as e-book in the right column of our Kai) and now we will return to our Ghost Writer posts on Wednesdays, however I have changed the idea behind the Ghost Writer posts. There is of course still room for Haiku Family members to write a Ghost Writer post, but in the Ghost Writer posts I will also bring back the special features of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai e.g. Carpe Diem "Little Ones", Carpe Diem "Soliloquy No Renga" and other special features we had.

This week I bring back our "Soliloquy No Renga" or in other words "Renga written by one poet". Back in 2014 somewhere in September I introduced this special feature, this "solo-renga", in a post which you can find HERE. And of course you can find some more background on Renga above in menu or by clicking HERE. I will give the starting verse (or hokku) here and the goal is to write a "solo-renga" of a maximum of 12 stanza through association on images in the divers links. So you are getting to the second stanza by associating on images in the first stanza. (See also our Haiku Writing Techniques e-book chapter 11 baransu).


Here is the hokku ... I have chosen a haiku written by myself to start this "Soliloquy No Renga":

At this moment we have a really heavy wind and I am anxious for the young cherry blossoms, yes my Sakura has bloomed and now this storm will scatter the beauty of the fragile cherry blossoms, so I have a nice starting verse, or hokku, for you all based on this moment:

Hokku:
such a malice
cherry blossoms in full bloom
the Spring wind!


© Chèvrefeuille

For the second stanza you can choose for example malice to associate on for your 2nd stanza of two lines. Maybe I have to give you the chain links lengths .... first stanza (3 lines), second stanza (2 lines); third stanza (3 lines) and so on. You may use the classical or the non-classical syllables count, for a three lined link 5-7-5 and for a two lined link 7-7, but that's not an obligation ... just feel free, maybe do some "free styling" as Santoka Taneda did, you can use several Writing Techniques as we have seen in the last three months ... just go for it.
  


This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until April 4th at noon (CET) ... that's a day longer than I usually do, but that's because of the task .... to write a "Soliloquy No Renga". I will try to post our next episode, chariot, later on. With that episode we will start our journey through the Bhagavad Gita and maybe find Peace of Mind as is the theme for April. Have fun!


8 comments:

  1. From your haiku we see that nature is not all-loving, yet all we are able to do is 'watch' - we also learn that wind can destroy fleeting beauty as well as important crops - and that beauty is fragile. I like the way the haiku is arranged very muchl It does not progress in a line 1 - 2 - 3 manner. On the contrary, the 'story' orogresses in a line 1 - 3 - 2 manner. For all those who are learning, like me - observe!!...like me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're not offended but I like your hokku but I write my tanka in two parts. In order to do that I had to rearrange your haiku. Also, in order to create a poetic story using a thread or flow of time I had to place it as a third stanza rather than the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Lolly ... remember that the posts are for inspiration ... and you are free to use the given haiku/hokku in the way you like it ... I am looking forward to your response.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad to see solo no renga again!!!
    Here's hoping the spring wind will leave you at least a few blossoms to enjoy, Chevrefeuille.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are aspects of our clime which are in empathy with your Spring one of which is the blossoming of Poui trees, so i used this in my renga

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a challenge but the subject matter well worth it.

    ReplyDelete