Sunday, March 15, 2015

Carpe Diem Special #137, Santoka Taneda's 3rd "walking through "


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to create another wonderful CD Special with a haiku composed by our featured haiku poet Santoka Taneda (1882-1940) ... he has written a lot of haiku which are worth to share here at CDHK. This new episode is titled "walking through" and in this haiku composed by him we see one of the haiku writing techniques which I have introduced to you all "repetition". A short reminder: Repetition in haiku means "using the same words" more than once to make the scene stronger and more intense.

This month is Haiga Festival and so I have chosen to create a haiga with the to be used haiku by Santoka Taneda. It's more in tune than with our theme this month.

Fumi-wakeru hagi yo susuki yo

walking through
the bush clover, the pampas grass,
walking on through them


© Santoka Taneda (Tr. R.H. Blyth)


It's a gorgeous haiku I think and I even think I have turned it into a wonderful haiga. The photo however isn't mine (credits photo: here)  but it fits the haiku very well I think.

The goal of this CD Special is to write/compose an all new haiku inspired on the given one and in the same sense, tone and spirit as the given one. Maybe you can use the repetition writing technique in your haiku too, but that's not an obligation. Feel free .... and as you all know (maybe) Santoka Taneda was a 'fore stander' of the so called "free style haiku", so feel free to use that style ....

Here is my attempt to write/compose an all new haiku in the spirit of Santoka Taneda:

again and again
the wind chime points me the way
to peace .... again


© Chèvrefeuille

Hm ... not as strong as I had hoped, but I like the intensity of this haiku ... I have turned this one into a haiga too.

Credits: Weird Cabin with Wind Chime

It has become a nice haiga (how immodest) and I hope you like it too. This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until March 18th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, windmill, later on. For now .... just enjoy and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment