Saturday, March 14, 2015

Sparkling Stars #20, Kala Ramesh's "a new moon sky"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Yeah! It's Saturday again and it's time for our bi-weekly feature "Sparkling Stars" in which I introduce "sparkling stars", great haiku (in my opinion) composed by a classical or non-classical haiku poet following the classical or non-classical rules of haiku. The goal is to write an all new haiku inspired on the given "sparkling stars" and try to reach that "sparkling stars" level yourself.

This episode of Sparkling Stars I love to introduce to you all a haiku poetess from India maybe you have heard from her. I heard about her a few weeks ago through an email which I got from Jane Reichhold. She asked me to spent time on CDHK about Kala Ramesh and one of her wonderful projects, creating haiku and haiga with young people from India. Jane's email made me curious to know a little bit more about Kala and I am happy to introduce her here in our Sparkling Stars feature.

Credits: Kala Ramesh
Kala Ramesh is an Indian, classical musician, who has worked extensively on Pandit Kumar Gandharva’s style under Mrs. Shubhada Chirmulay for over 15 years, and has performed professionally in several major Indian cities.  A recently turned haiku poet (since 2005), Kala writes haiku, tanka, senryu, haibun and renku, and her work has appeared in leading e-zines and anthologies all over the world.  Kala, as director of the World Haiku Club in India, organised with the co-operation of its members, the four-day 9th World Haiku Festival at Bangalore in February 2008, which was sponsored jointly by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ji and Sri Ratan Tata Trust. Kala is a member of the editorial team of Modern English Tanka Press’s new anthology, Take Five: The Best Contemporary Tanka 2008/2009/2010, is on the panel of the literary e-journal Muse India, for the areas of haiku and short verse Since April 2009, Kala has been the Poetry Editor at Katha, a renowned New Delhi publishing house. In this capacity, she compiled and edited the first ever ebook of haiku, senryu, haibun, tanka and haiga written by thirty five Indian poets. Currently, she is also the lead poet (sabaki) of a Kasen renku with six other international renkujin: experimenting and incorporating the traditional renku with the famed Rasa Theory of India, comprising the nine emotions prevalent in all Indian art forms (which consists of nine rasas or essence, namely: erotic, comic, sorrow, anger, valour, fear, disgust, wonder and tranquillity, traditionally known as the nava rasas).

Kala has written wonderful haiku (and tanka) and it was almost a "mission impossible" to choose from her haiku, but I succeeded I think. I have a wonderful haiku selected for your inspiration.
 
the child-like joy
seeing a star streak
a new moon sky


© Kala Ramesh

And another haiku written by her, which is even more beautiful than the first one.

howling wind —
an autumn note within
the bamboo flute


© Kala Ramesh

Both are really gorgeous in my opinion and I think these (and a lot more of her haiku) are really "Sparkling Stars".

It will not be easy to compose an all new haiku who can compete with these wonderful haiku by Kala, but (as you all know), I have to try of course.


I decided to try compose haiku inspired on each given haiku here, so first I will try to compose an all new haiku on her first haiku given:
 
a shooting star
draws a silvery line
against the black sky


© Chèvrefeuille

!! As you all can read in the comments-field Kala gave me another version of the above haiku which I love to re-produce here:

a shooting star
draws a silvery line
the black sky


© Chèvrefeuille

I think this version is stronger than my first version ... so thank you Kala to share your ideas with me and point me into the right direction.

And here is my haiku inspired on her second haiku:

spring breeze
directs the wind chimes
ah! that sweet sound


© Chèvrefeuille

And I think I will try to compose a haiku in which I will use both haiku by Kala for my inspiration, maybe I will succeed in that.

late summer night
a wind chime resonates through the night -
stars shine bright


© Chèvrefeuille

Awesome to see that one can have a goal and than can see the result of the sources of inspiration deep within our heart ... I think that last haiku that I composed is really a beauty.

This episode of Carpe Diem's Sparkling Stars is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Saturday, March 21th at noon (CET). Have fun!


9 comments:

  1. Very nice - I am a great fan of Indian haiku pets. Your haiku fit so well - it is clear you really liked her haiku!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like her haiku. I am grateful to Jane that she introduced Kala Ramesh to me.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for introducing this Indian poet. You have equaled her work in beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I feel a connection with her and she really has composed wonderful haiku.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing a wonderful new voice with us --- I'll have to find more of her work. Beautiful -- and very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jen. Jane introduced me to her and she really is a great haiku poetess.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Krishjaan,

    Thank you so much for liking my haiku and to also feature me here. I'm deeply touched.
    I liked your first haiku a lot:

    a shooting star
    draws a silvery line
    against the black sky

    Haiku is best when it has two images juxtaposed - which leaves your reader with something to do!!

    Supposing you said:

    a shooting star
    draws a silvery line . . .
    the black sky

    Nice.
    warmly,
    _kala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome ... Kala this is a honor that you have commented on this post. Your haiku are beauties and I am honored that you are ok with me using your haiku. Thank you for your suggestion for my 'shooting star' haiku and i will keep it in mind. Thank you ...

      Namaste,

      Kristjaan

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your post and learning about yet another great poet. Enjoyed your haiku! Especially the first.

    ReplyDelete