Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Carpe Diem #1704 Beachcomber ... Renga With Jane Reichhold


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our wonderful Haiku Kai. This month is themed "Summer Love" and has all to do with the love for summer in all the different ways. Today I have such a lovely summer activity for you to work with. I remember that we have had this prompt somewere back in our rich history, but that doesn't really matter.




Today I have chosen a prompt taken from Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary Of Haiku", a modern saijiki, from the section Summer, subsection livelihood: Beachcomber. A beachcomber is a person who participates in the activity of beachcombing, an activity that consists of an individual "combing" (or searching) the beach and the intertidal zone, looking for things of value, interest or utility.

The task for you today is to create a Renga With Jane Reichhold (1937-2016) using the following haiku:

missing the malls
on the ocean beach
she gathers shells

high tide
the beach leaves a mark
in her book

afternoon wind
all the beachcomber's words
blown out to sea

Beachcombing (Message In A Bottle)

cold beach walk
on sun-warmed car seats
two sweatshirts

a special beach
I put a pebble in my mouth
before leaving

smelling the light
on her tanned shoulder
home from the beach

© Jane Reichhold (Extracted from "A Dictionary Of  Haiku")

The task? You may choose your own line-up, add your two-lined stanza, and make the renga complete. Enjoy this Renga With Jane Reichhold ... in honor of her.

PS.: I have also published a new episode on Tanka Splendor, see link at the right side of our Kai.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 23rd at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our new episode later on. For now ... have fun!


1 comment:

  1. some very lovely haiku to consider here, - thank you -
    and just to note: this is extremely similar to content (the haiku) we've just explored recently, in another "Renga with Jane" episode, so I opted for a bit of an exploration - a "beachcombing" effort to see if I could use another type of Japanese poetic form coupled with the haiku. So that's what I decided on.

    If this isn't okay, please feel free to drop/remove my link - I won't be upset.

    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete