Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Carpe Diem Modern Times Haiku #4 waves crash



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I am happy to create another episode of CD Modern Times Haiku. Last week there were a few circumstances so I couldn't do an episode of this special feature, but this week I have time to bring another modern haiku poet to your attention to inspire you.

This week I love to introduce you to Michael Ketchek (1954 - ). Michael Ketchek lives in Rochester NY. Michael says he is a lifelong Yankee fan and hiker who prefers dark beer. Michael reports that he was introduced to haiku by his third grade teacher in the Rochester Public schools. In the past 15 years, his haiku, senryu, haibun and tanka have appeared in numerous publications.


Michael Ketchek

I have found a few wonderful haiku written by Michael and I think those haiku can inspire you to write an all new haiku (or tanka). This week I love to challenge you a little bit more.

Your haiku has to follow a few classical rules, which I will give hereafter, and I love to challenge you to create a short chained renga of a maximum of six (6) stanza. First I will give you a few classical rules.


1. 5-7-5 syllables;
2. A moment as short as the sound of a pebble thrown into water;
3.A kigo (seasonword)

And here are the haiku by Michael Ketchek for your inspiration:

underside of a moth
crawling up the screen
darkness beyond


warm glow of dawn in
crumpled aluminum foil
behind the dumpster


waves crash
against the pier - the bottle
slips from my hand

© Michael Ketchek



Here is my attempt to reach for that goal I have given you:

the cry of a seagull
resonates through the dunes
waves pounding the beach

above the horizon dark clouds
far away sound of thunder

sun bathers running
to seek shelter for the thunderstorm
raindrops on my cheeks

caressing my friend's naked body
as we have found shelter in the barn

secret hide out
to share our body fluids
bales of straw

while making love
the cry of a seagull

© Chèvrefeuille

A challenging episode I think and a great haiku poet too.

This episode of Modern Times Haiku is open for your submissions at noon (CET) and will remain open until next Tuesday September 15th at noon (CET). Have fun!
!! permission is asked !!

No comments:

Post a Comment