Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Carpe Diem Special #168 Autumn "tonight's moon"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

First this: In one of the posts of this week I mentioned that I am busy with a merchandise-project. This project starts to become real. Just several hours ago I have created our "Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Merchandise (CDHK-M)" webshop. Thanks to Hamish, who pointed me at Ticail, a Swedish website that gives people the opportunity to create their webshop. At this moment the CDHK-M webshop is under construction, but later this week I hope to open it ... I will start with the (free) e-books of CDHK. I will keep you posted on this CDHK-M project.

Ok ... it's time again for a CD-Special and this time I love to focus on thé kigo (seasonword) of autumn, Moon. As you all know I am a real "moon-lover". The moon is one of my favorite themes for haiku and I have written a lot of "moon"- haiku. Why "moon" for this CD-Special?

To the Japanese the moon is at her brighest and beautifuls in autumn. Every haiku poet will agree on that. "Moon" is not a kigo in other seasons. As haiku poets write haiku on "moon" in other seasons they will always mention the season too e.g. "moon of summer", "moon of spring".

Maybe you can remember that I published earlier this year an anthology with "moon"- haiku, you can find that anthology in our Library (in the menu).



To inspire you I have a few "moon"- haiku by Basho which I love to share here. All haiku are translated by Jane Reichhold.

the moon so pure
a wandering monk carries it
across the sand

blue seas
breaking waves smell of rice wine
tonight’s moon

© Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)

Maybe you know that I am also co-hosting at MindLoveMisery's Menagerie (MLMM). At MLMM I am hosting the Wednesday feature "Heeding Haiku With ..." and this week's "Heeding Haiku With .." is also about autumn.

Here are a few haiku to inspire you written by (former) CDHK family-members:

autumn moon
soft veils enhance
her beauty


© Georgia


ancient warriors ghosts
mists over the foreign highlands -
waiting for the full moon
© Chèvrefeuille


feeling shadows –
and yet
I thought the moon was hidden

© Paloma
 
noisy moon
declarative geese
migrate
© Jules
 
voluptuous night
under the transient moon
gone too soon

© Cathy Tenzo
 
bright little full moon
evening to rejoice the light
praise the universe

© Anmol (a.k.a. HA)
 
Stars blink amidst clouds
All gazes hushed in thrill
Harvest Moon fulfills us.

© Mariya Koleva

All wonderful haiku ... really a joy to read them and re-read them. I hope these haiku will inspire you to write/compose an all new haiku (or tanka).

This CD-Special is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until September 26th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, Pegasus, later on.

 

3 comments:

  1. so many well-written haikus which seem to show a partiality to autumn, as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your haiku is beautifully mysterious, Chevrefeuille.
    Thank you so much for including one of my own :)
    All the best to you ---

    ReplyDelete