Friday, December 18, 2015

Carpe Diem #882 beneath the stars of the deep north: low tide crossing, July


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Maybe you can remember that we had our first renga-party earlier this year and I love to share here that we will have our second CD Renga party next January. I will keep you posted.
Our first (try-out) number of Carpe Diem's e-zine "Souchou" is almost ready and it will be published before Christmas. I think it has become a wonderful e-zine with a lot of gorgeous posts and poetry. Stay tuned!

Okay back to our episode of today. We are far beyond halfway of Basho's "Narrow Road" and we are already on our route back home, but we have still a long way to go. Today another part of the "Narrow Road" will pass by and in this episode we will read another nice (well known) haiku I think.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


low tide crossing
the crane’s shank is wetted
with the sea’s coolness


© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

what delicacy is served
this festival day in Kisagata
that sweet smell

© Sora (tr. Chèvrefeuille)

After lingering in Sakata for several days, I left on a long walk of a hundred and thirty miles to the capital of the province of Kaga. As I looked up at the clouds gathering around the mountains of the Hokuriku road, the thought of the great distance awaiting me almost overwhelmed my heart. Driving myself all the time, however, I entered the province of Echigo through the barrier-gate of Nezu, and arrived at the barrier-gate of Ichiburi in the province of Ecchu. During the nine days I needed for this trip, I could not write very much, what with the heat and moisture, and my old complaint that pestered me immeasurably.

July
ordinarily the sixth night
is not like this


© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)


Credits: Tanabata Festival (July 7th)

A few other haiku about Tanabata Festival (July 7th) written by Basho in a translation by myself. By the way these were not included in “Narrow Road”.

do not even peer
through the leaves of the silk tree
light falls from the stars

Tanabata -
autumn is truly here
as nights begin

© Basho (Tr. Chèvrefeuille)


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


This wonderful Star festival Tanabata has been featured here often and I think that's awesome, because in my experience this is one of the most famous, but also gorgeous, festivals there is in Japan.

I hope this (short) episode will inspire you to write haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form. This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until December 21st at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, a rough sea; in one house, later on. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, the place to be if you like to write and share haiku.


1 comment: