Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Carpe Diem Haiku Writing Techniques #24 movement (undou)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

As I wrote in an earlier "extra" this new episode of CD-HWT has been delayed because of lack of time, but I finally have found a little spare time to write this new episode. As I did in the first series of CD-HWT I created another Haiku Writing Technique myself. This time I have tried to built further on our special feature "Perpetuum Mobile" or  "everlasting movement". This new haiku writing technique I have called "undou" or "movement". Before I created this technique I asked Jane Reichhold if there was a haiku writing technique like "undou", but according to her there was not such a technique ... so with this all new technique I hope to improve yours and mine haiku writing skills.

The goal of this new HWT is to bring the everlasting movement of nature into your haiku. How do you bring movement into your haiku? I will try to explain that:

As we look at nature, than we see the everlasting circle of growth (of life); bare branches, buds, sprouting leaves and flowers/blossom, full grown, all kinds of green colors (or red, yellow), blossoms decaying, the growth of the fruits. Fruits ripe ateable and ready for harvest. Then decay during autumn and the hibernation in winter and than the everlasting circle of starts all over again.
Can we bring that into our haiku? Must be possible I think, don't you think so too?




Let me give it a try with an example:

seasons come and go
transformation of nature
the moon always the same

© Chèvrefeuille

Movement can also be used in what sometimes is called "senryu", here is an example:

driving on
wheels turn round and round
finally at home


© Chèvrefeuille
This is "movement" used in a senryu. Can we find another use in our beloved haiku for "movement" and maybe we can bring the both examples together.
like wheels
always turning around
seasons come and go

© Chèvrefeuille
Did we bring "movement" into haiku? I think so. Try this new Haiku Writing Technique and bring "movement" into your haiku.

This CD-HWT is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until December 26th at noon (CET). Our scheduled part of "Narrow Road" I have already published in the "triple"-episode which you can find HERE.
 

3 comments:

  1. Undou is a great concept Chèvrefeuille. Really highlighted with haiku that are clear and flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristjaan,
    You have such a store of original ideas. Wonderful to behold. Thank you so much for a year of haiku delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kristjaan,

    I came across this beautiful which correspond with the the undou technique and thought it cool of sharing it:


    seasons repeat
    we tell the stories
    we are given

    —Ellen Grace Olinger





    (Originally published in Mayfly 58, Winter 2015)



    ReplyDelete