Sunday, January 20, 2019

Carpe Diem #1588 delight in company


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend full of inspiration. I had a nice weekend, relaxing and taking time with my loved ones. I really enjoy the time I can share with my loved ones and that's also the theme for this new episode.

This month we are exploring classical and modern kigo (seasonwords) for winter and today I have a nice modern kigo for you taken from Jane Reichhold's Saijiki "A Dictionary of Haiku". And that modern kigo has everything to do with enjoying the company of loved ones ... the theme today is "delight in company" and that's very important for everyone I think.

Delight In Company (©photo Anna Ivanova)
Ofcourse "delight in company" is not specific for winter, but I think in winter we enjoy it more than in the other seasons. The evenings and nights are longer and mostly in this time of year we enjoy the romance of candlelight and soft music ...

I love this time of year and I am enjoying the company of my beloved ones. In her Saijiki Jane Reichhold gives us a few wonderful examples of haiku in which she uses this modern kigo. So here are a few of those haiku to awaken your muses.

a new winter friend
up the year's steep sloping
our flow of words

bird song
under winter quilts
bodies touching

curved ink
the warmth of your hand
in the letters

© Jane Reichhold (extracted from "A Dictionary of Haiku")

By the way the first haiku of the above series she wrote for a friend.

fireplace (still from a you tube clip)

warm embrace
in front of the fireplace
I see stars

© Chèvrefeuille

A nice romantic haiku I think ... isn't that what delight in company can mean also?

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until January 27th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment