Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Carpe Diem #289, Hatsu Arashi (First Storm)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

We are continuing our journey through the classical Japanese kigo for autumn. We are busy with kigo for early-autumn and today we have a prompt that has to do with the weather of autumn. Today we share haiku on Hatsu Arashi (first storm). Hatsu Arashi refers  usually to the wind, storm from end of August till mid-September, but not as strong a storm as a real typhoon of the mid-autumn season.
As was preparing this episode I ran into the colors of the season as they were mentioned in the Erh Ya, one of the earliest Chinese dictionaries. According to the Erh Ya the color of autumn is white, because the Spirit of autumn is clear and white. (Green is the color of spring, Red the color of summer and Black the color of winter). Isn't it a nice story? Season colors?


Source: Hatsu Arashi

caught in the first storm
the haiku poet and his beloved -
roses left behind

roses left behind
autumn romance rough disturbed
the first storm

the first storm
scatters the colorful leaves -
Japanese Maple

Japanese Maple
her leaves colored like a rainbow
caught in the first storm


A lovely autumn cascade ... the first storm scattered a romantic rendez vous. Autumn ... my season ...

This prompt will stay on 'till September 6th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode, Tooroo (lantern), around 7.00 PM (CET). !! Hatsu Arashi (first storm) is open for submissions later on today around 7.00 PM (CET) !! I am in the nightshift so I don't know if I am on time. That's the reason that I already have posted the Carpe Diem episode for September 5th.



5 comments:

  1. Love your haiku, especially the ones with the Japanese Maple. I have a dwarf one in my front yard. That's it. Just that one Zen tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im really enjoying seasons more now that I live in a place that has them. (though storms not so much)Love the thought of the season colors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those were very nice haiku indeed.I got this in email - http://europeankukai.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful!First one is my favourite Kristjaan:-)Now off to write my own :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A peach of a girl
    writing haiku?
    I shouldn't be surprised
    Vasile Moldovan

    ReplyDelete