Sunday, September 8, 2013

Carpe Diem Special #56, O. Mabson Southard's "releases the moon"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Another week has gone by and today I love to share another nice haiku written by our featured haiku poet for this month, O. Mabson Southard. As you all know the goal of the Specials is to write a new haiku/senryu in the same tone, sense and spirit as the one given by the featured haiku poet. With the haiku by Southard there is another thing which you have to follow ... Southard wrote all his haiku in the classical 5-7-5 syllables-count, so your haiku has to follow that 5-7-5 syllables-count also, that makes it a little bit tougher I think and he uses punctuation also another thing to think about by writing you new haiku.


O. Mabson Southard
I have a wonderful haiku to share with you ...

In the garden pool,
dark and still, a steppingstone
releases the moon.

Isn't it a beauty? I love this imagery of the garden pool in which the moon is reflected on the wet steppingstones ... really an awesome picture I see in front of my eyes. To write another haiku in the same sense, tone and spirit will not be easy ... not least by using the 5-7-5 syllables count, because that's not 'my cup of tea'.

dragonfly guides me -
moonlighted steppingstones
laying ahead of me

This Special prompt will stay on 'till September 10th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode, Kiri hitoha (one Pawlonia leaf, arrival of autumn), later on today around 7.00 PM (CET) !! This Special episode is open for submissions at 7.00 PM (CET) !!





11 comments:

  1. Beautiful imagery... I'd so like to take a moonlit walk on steppingstones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I'm too early.
    Sneak preview: http://rheumatologe.blogspot.de/2013/09/carpe-diem-haiku-o-mabson-southards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did a catch up of reading a few days haiku. It's amazing what I have read. Not only are there very good haiku... but each and every one in this community have developed their own very personal style. A lot of Ahs and Ohs.... you are all very good.. and Kristjaan this is all due to you. Thank you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice of you to say, Bjorn. I've watched us all grow too. It's delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Bjorn....You are right about this web being a great help and thank you for including different poetry forms on your web. I am going to start posting some of my examples of classic-form poetry on my page.... For ALL: Please pop over and share a poem of yours. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Opies-poetry-friends/530846836971195 -
    ...........Opie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!This is going to be really challenging as well as fun!I agree with Bjorn's comment above-such fabulous pieces-feeling so privileged to be a part of this awesome community :-)Thank you Kristjaan :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and I almost missed commenting on your beautiful Haiku,Kristjaan-it's amazing-love the idea of dragonfly at night-so magical!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the original and your new haiku. And I agree with Bjorn--I am inspired by everyone's haiku and notice the different personalities within them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful imagery in your haiku, Kristjaan. Picturesque scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just joined this prompt -- thank you, Kristjaan, it's inspirational. Will go around later to get intoxicated with everyone's poetry. Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love dragonflies - some have really nice wing colors. thanks again for another great Special. i left a message for you (i cannot remember which post!?!) from WP support in case you have problems again commenting.

    ReplyDelete