Friday, September 13, 2013

Carpe Diem goes back to it's roots #1


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

As we have almost our first anniversary, next October, I love to introduce a new feature. As you all know and can read in Carpe Diem Lecture 1 haiku has a long history. It also has strong rules as e.g. the 5-7-5 syllables count and the use of a kigo (seasonword). As you all know I am not a big fan of those classical rules and I know that several of you also don't have that, but ... haiku is a classical form of poetry with strict rules and so I thought "Maybe I have to go back to the roots of haiku". 

This new feature "Carpe Diem goes back to it's roots", is the way to go back of the roots of our beloved haiku. So in this feature you have to use the classical rules as meant in the Lecture I referred to. I will not give a prompt or something in this new feature, but what I like to do is give you the name of a season. As you maybe know in ancient Japan they had 5 seasons, New Year, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. So this month is the classic month to go back to the roots of haiku with all haiku written about autumn or referring to autumn.


Japanese Autumn

What a colorful photo ... really a Japanese autumn. This can be a source of inspiration, but you don't have to use the photo. Just write your classical haiku right from your heart. Have fun ... go with me on a time-travel back to the roots of haiku.


colorful leaves
everywhere I look around -
raindrops fall one by one


Awesome I love this haiku ... don't ask me how much time it cost to write it, but I am glad that I succeeded in the goal to write a classical haiku as is meant in this new feature.

Have fun, be inspired and share your classical haiku with us all here at Carpe Diem and go with us back to the roots of haiku.
This prompt will stay on 'till September 30th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post a new episode of Carpe Diem goes back to it's roots later on that day.

Namaste





7 comments:

  1. very 'aware' haiku ~ and I love the classical haiku ~ resonates within my soul ~ Your haiku is divine ~ happy weekend ~ carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this new challenge,,,I laughed when you wrote about the time it took to write your lovely haiku...sometimes it takes me a few minutes, and sometimes I tweak it for hours until it sounds right to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes those 575 rhythm is so great when you create a haiku... but sometimes it sounds wrong anyway... I love to listen how it sings to me... and I really like some of my best haiku are not 353 of 575 but 464... well I think I like a certain symmetry.. so let's have a shot.. at this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roots 1 started me reviewing the basics of haiku (especially kigo), and I do love to review things I think I know. Thanks... Sometimes it is also good to squeeze much into 17 syllables(whatcha call ems?), without wasted words.... Thanks twice... Sometimes the little pixie muse stamps a haiku on my brain, and sometimes she dribbles one down my chin, like your raindrops.... Am adding topical links to the haiku on my web, for review and future compilation... opie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely haiku. I tend to write in the set syllable structure most of the times, but of course the season words do get skipped sometimes. Interesting... I am looking forward to participating in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to read that you all like this new feature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristjaan -

    thank you for your nice comment

    i would be honored and delighted to have you use my haiku for a tan renga challenge

    in case it is not obvious mine was directly inspired by yours

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete