Friday, September 20, 2013

Carpe Diem Special #58, Southard's "This morning's rainbow".



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today our fourth Special by O. Mabson Southard (1911-2000), our featured haiku-poet of this month, and one of the greatest modern haiku poets of the last century. His haiku are all wonderful and very much acording to the classical rules of haiku composing as once given by e.g. Matsuo Basho and other classical haiku poets.

This morning's rainbow
shares its deep violet edge
with the misty moon.

(c) O. Mabson Southard


Credits: Misty Rainbow

The goal of this Special is to write your haiku respons on the haiku by Southard in the same tone, sense and spirit as his one and because of his (strict) 5-7-5 structure, your haiku has to have also 5-7-5 syllables.

This is my haiku in respons on the haiku by Southard and I hope it's in the same sense, tone and spirit as the one by Southard, if it's in 5-7-5 that I don't know for sure.


Credits: Rainbow Cobweb

crystalized cobweb -
dewdrops sparkle in the sunrise
spider crawls the rainbow


I think this is a nice haiku in respons on the haiku by Southard and I even dare to say that it is a masterpiece and so not my way of haiku writing, because of the 5-7-5 syllables count in this one.
I see an awesome image in front of my eyes. It is a wonder of the Creation as it is meant to be.

This Special by Southard will stay on 'till September 22th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode of Carpe Diem, a new classical Japanese kigo for autumn, Tonbo (Dragonfly), later on today around 7.00 PM (CET).
!! This Special by Southard is open for your submissions at 7.00 PM (CET) !!




8 comments:

  1. You are absolutely 100% right Kristjaan....
    that haiku you wrote is.................a classic
    stunning.
    I am amazed, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your haiku today is a masterpiece...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful haiku, Kristjaan. And as Bjorn has already mentioned, a true masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wrote an exceptional haiku. It's totally in the spirit of Mabson. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--your haiku today is a gem. Spiderwebs are one of the beauties of fall here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for recommending a haiku poet to read. As someone new to this joy, I welcome ideas of where to start to learn and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your haiku and it goes so well with the image. wow! super! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent haiku! Please feel free to use any of my haiku in the upcoming prompts.

    ReplyDelete