Monday, January 4, 2016

Carpe Diem #891 joy of living


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's really a pleasure to create these posts for you all. I hope you do like them and that they can inspire you. Today I have a modern winter kigo for you extracted from Jane Reichhold's "Dictionary of Haiku", but ... don't get me wrong, I like this kigo for today, but I have some trouble with understanding why Jane has brought this modern kigo, joy of living, into winter and especially under the theme moods?
I would place this kigo under spring, because of the joy new life gives, but on the other hand ... maybe it fits winter more than I would think. Why? Well ... as I read the examples of haiku for this kigo than they are about the joy of watching a show or a ballet together with your lover. And winter is the time of the long evenings and that can also be a joy. Together in front of the fireplace with a nice glass of wine, candles, romantic music and the warmth of each other's body ... that's how I see the joy of living ... so maybe this is a kigo for winter ...?

Here are a few examples of the haiku which Jane wrote for this kigo:

"Come see the sunset?"
the old woman too busy
for endings


touching me
during the ballet
his left hand

© Jane Reichhold


in front of the fireplace - joy of living
Looks great doesn't it? Nice image ... I would enjoy this scene very much ... that's what is meant with the joy of living ...

she and I
in front of the fireplace
enjoying life


© Chèvrefeuille

I love it ...

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until January 7th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, the first Tokubetsudesu of 2016, later on. For now ... have fun!


3 comments:

  1. i live in the tropics, in Trinidad there is no winter or cold phases of the year, so the kigo "Joy of living" is more so a prompt for the celebratory aspect of our welcoming a new calendar year

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful series of prompts. So sorry I have been unable to participate each day. Bumped my noggin again and had to stay away from reading and writing for a few days. I usually try to go ahead and write in response to the prompt just not able to connect. Blessings on your continued dedication to the blog!

    ReplyDelete