Friday, January 8, 2016

Carpe Diem #893 Fuyusoubi (winter rose)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to bring you another wonderful classical kigo (seasonword) in this month of Carpe Diem in which classic meets modern. As you all know (maybe) in every haiku you have to use a kigo or seasonword. A kigo is a word that points to the season in which the haiku "plays". And this month of our "kigo-cocktail" today we have Fuyusoubi (winter rose), a nice classical kigo for winter.

I am not certain if "Fuyusoubi" is really a flower or it means "rose in winter", because I found several images with frosted roses or roses with snow on it, but I also found an image titled "winter rose", but it seams to be not a rose at all.

Credits: Winter Rose
Maybe you, my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers, can help me out. Here is another wonderful image of a "winter rose".

Credits: Winterroses
Both images are wonderful. I like that second image the most, because in this one I see "really" winter roses.

I also found several haiku in which "Fuyusoubi" is used. Here they are:

winter roses -
each petal has
its own spark

© Gabi Greve (2007)

tonari made syatsuta- shimaru fuyu-soubi

near at the next door
shutter is closing
winter roses


© Sakuo (2007)

winter roses—
I am tired of reading
between the lines


© Fay Aoyagi

omowazu mo  hiyoko umarenu  fuyu sobi

unexpectedly
a chick is born,
winter rose


© Kawahigashi Hekigoto (1873-1937)

ichi-rin no  shimo no bara yori  toshi akuru   
                                  
a single
frosty rose
opens a year

© Mizuhara ShuoshiI (1892-1981)




All very nicely written by known and not so known haiku poets. Roses and winter in my opinion not a good match, but as we have read (and seen) above roses and winter can go together. It's another challenge I think to create a haiku with "Fuyusoubi" in it, but ... well you know me ...

a last rose
more fragile than ever
clothed in snow


© Chèvrefeuille

snowflakes
cover the red roses
on a new grave


© Chèvrefeuille

Fuyusoubi (winter rose) ... not an easy kigo, but I enjoyed preparing this episode for you all.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until January 11th at noon (CET). I will (try to) post our next episode, another CD-Special in our trip along memory lane, later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment