Sunday, August 18, 2019

Carpe Diem #1727 Milkweed ...


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

A new week is ahead of us ... another wonderful week in which we will create a bouquet of wildflowers ... today I have a very nice wild flower for you to work with, but first I have something else.

Next October we will celebrate our 7th anniversary and as you all know I am always trying to make that month a real celebration and I hope to do that this year too, but I need your help with it. Do you have ideas for our anniversary month? Than please share them with us trhough the comments field of this episode. I am looking forward to all of your wonderful ideas.


(Butterfly) Milkweed (photo © Tom Koerner)

Okay back to our episode. Today I have chosen for "milkweed".Butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa)grows 1-3 feet tall and has flat-topped clusters of orange flowers. Unlike many other flowers that have two whorls, milkweeds have three whorled flowers. The inner whorl is known as the corolla, above that is the corona, and the outermost whorl of sepals is the calyx. The leaves of the butterfly milkweed are stiff and lance-shaped. They differ from all other milkweeds in that they are alternate and do not produce milky white sap. Butterfly milkweedis a perennial herb and flowers throughout June and August. The flowers are followed by green spindle-shaped pods that open and release silky tufted seeds that are wind dispersed.

A beautiful wild flower I think to work with.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until August 25th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our new episode later on. For now ... have fun!

3 comments:

  1. For the anniversary month I recommend a "back to the basics" month, where each day the prompt is to write a haiku, any haiku, based on just one rule/advice you have given us over the years about writing haiku. Following are some I remember:
    *writing a haiku with no verbs
    *5/7/5
    *17 syllables
    *wordplay
    *humour
    *wabisabi
    *season word
    *kijei? link word or -
    *1st line or 3rd line interchangeable

    And many others....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice idea Hamish, my friend, good to see you here again.

      Delete
  2. It's strange, but whenever I'm the first person to leave a link, it doesn't "take." When I come back later, the link isn't there and I have to leave it again.

    ReplyDelete