Sunday, December 15, 2013

Carpe Diem's Sweet Memories #1, Introduction


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I love to introduce a new feature on Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. A few days ago I read a few of my earliest haiku (in Dutch) again. Moemories started to flow and I thought ''maybe this is something I can use for our haiku-family''. So I created this new feature in which you are free to use any prompt to write a haiku with, but ... it has to be a haiku with ''(Sweet) Memories'' so you may share an old one or write a new one, but there has to be a story bound to it.
For example a haiku to celebrate the birth of a child, or a wedding, or maybe a haiku which is special for you written for joy or by another haiku-poet than yourself. For this feature there is just one ''rule'':

Share your (sweet) memories, have fun and feel free.

For this episode I love to share a haiku with a very nice sweet memory. It was the first haiku ever which I wrote when I was in my early twenties. Back in those times I hever had heard about haiku, but I wrote short poems already. A girl-friend, from school (I was studying pedagogy), than an origami-artist, pointed me at haiku. She gave me a book about haiku written by a Dutch writer and Japanologist. That book, simply titled ''Haiku, a young moon'', was an eye-opener and I was sold and addicted to haiku. Haiku became my kind of poetry and a part of my life. That first haiku (in Dutch) I had to translate into English was my first haiku ever was the following:

bamboo rustles
brings the mind into ecstasy
whispers secrets


(c) Chèvrefeuille

A wonderful memory. A smile on my face as I think back at those times as I started writing haiku, a life changing event. As I look at my haiku nowadays than they have evolved to a kind of signature, my own style.




Well ... I hope you did like this new feature and this first episode. This episode of ''Sweet Memories'' will stay on until January 15th 11.59 AM (CET) and is NOW OPEN for your submissions. Have fun, feel free and remember ... at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai there are no obligations ...


3 comments:

  1. Tender and special moment there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristjaan.. indeed a sweet haiku, there... And you have evolved into one fine haijin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...I've been sharing my favorites from the year for the 12 Days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete