Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Carpe Diem #568, Apples


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

No long post this time .... just the prompt for today and the examples by Jane Reichhold from her Saijiki "A Dicitionary of Haiku". Today we have apples for prompt. It's the time for plucking the apples, it's almost October. Here in The netherlands the harvest of apples has already begun, because we had a wonderful warm summer ...

Here are a few of the examples by Jane:

southern sunset
filling the apple bin
a deeper red

applesauce
the cinnamon glow
of a kerosene lamp

windfall apples
palaces for worms
American pie


She has several other examples in her Saijiki, but these were the ones that ad my attention. That second haiku is my favorite ... it brought sweet memories to me. My grandmother was in my opinion the Queen of selfmade applesauce.



harvesting apples -
sweeter than sweeter a real treat, 
grandma's applesauce

© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will reamin open until September 27th at noon (CET). I will publish our next episode, corn, later on. For now ... have fun!

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing so good as nice, fresh apples. Unfortunately, I don't tend to have very good luck with the ones from the tree near my house.
    http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/09/carpe-diem-autumn-haiku-apples.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's mother made the most sublime apple butter every year. Her children and grandchildren relished Grandma's apple butter. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can taste the wonderful applesauce that Grandmother made ~ lovely haiku!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete