Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Carpe Diem Ghost Writer #26, Sara Teasdale's "Leaves" by Jen of "Blog It Or Lose IT"


Dear haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a wonderful autumn-day we have here today in The Netherlands. Early this morning it was really cold around four degrees Celcius, but now (around noon) it's nice, not cold not warm just a nice temperature and a little breeze. As I look around me I can see that autumn really is here. leaves are starting become colored like the rainbow and the perfume of decaying leaves is awesome ...
Today's GW-post is similar with our Carpe Diem "Distillation" feature, but with a twist. Jen of Blog It Or Lose It has written this week's GW-post and introduces us to an American poetess named Sara Teasdale. She shares a poem titled "Leaves" composed by Sara and I think it's a wonderful poem in which Sara brings a tribute to "leaves". Have fun!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LEAVES a poem by Sara Teasdale

Sara Teasdale was an American poet who lived from 1884-1933.  She published several collections of poetry during her life, including Sonnets to DuseHelen of Troy and Other PoemsRivers to the SeaFlame and Shadows, and Love Songs.  She is probably best known for three poems:  “Like Barley Bending”, “I Shall Not Care”, and “Leaves”.

Credits: Leaves

Here is "Leaves" (1917) for your inspiration:

ONE by one, like leaves from a tree,
All my faiths have forsaken me;
But the stars above my head
Burn in white and delicate red,
And beneath my feet the earth
Brings the sturdy grass to birth.
I who was content to be
But a silken-singing tree,
But a rustle of delight
In the wistful heart of night,
I have lost the leaves that knew
Touch of rain and weight of dew.
Blinded by a leafy crown
I looked neither up nor down -
But the little leaves that die
Have left me room to see the sky;
Now for the first time I know
Stars above and earth below.
 

Rather than elaborate upon the poem, I’d like to know what the poem means to *you*. 

Can you envision the stars, the brown grass at the trees' feet, the liberation of being "leafless"?  What thoughts come to mind when *you* read the poem? 



Here is my Leaf-inspired haiku:

one leaf
rattling noisily in winter –
let go, little one

© Jen of Blog It Or Lose It

Links: 





Jen enclosed an other photo, but I couldn't open that one, so I have chosen to use another autumn leaf photo. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This GW-post is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until September 26th at noon (CET). I will (try to) post our next episode, apples, later on. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at CDHK.

13 comments:

  1. Holy smoke! Is it my birthday or something? Cuz I love autumn and I love the poety of Sara Teasdale. In fact my blog title is a line from another one of her poems. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow .... I did not make the Teasdale/Lovely Thing connection ... very nice!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poem and post. I think there are different shades to the poem, and that is also part of its beautiful merit, as the finding of beauty in decay - though a theme frequently used in photography - is a lovely notion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many ways to approach the poem -- and it seems to mean something different from the perspective of different seasons in a person's life. :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed you haiku KP. Tender and evocative of autumn. Good choice of poet from Jen also. It is Spring here in the Southern Hemisphere so difficult to write about Autumn !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post and thank you for introducing this poet, Jen. Your photos truly show the beauty of this season but your haiku has so many layers in its meaning...just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the Teasdale poem -- a very special one in my heart. And the haiku too :)

      Delete
  5. Friends.. it's intense over here.. I try to keep up with the challenges, but I'm way behind on commenting.. I will work my way backwards in the challenges... all is well in cold Sweden, but alas my trusty fiber connection was less trusty than I thought. So I have a slow mobile connection at the moment..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post and I love the haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, lovely from beginning of post through your haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear! Of all days to be late to the prompt! What a pleasant surprise to see that Sara's the feature for today :) -- also a wonderful relief to see such positive reactions and responses.

    Chevrefeuille - I am so sorry about the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jen. Awesome post. Everyday we are lucky to learn new things and be inspired by new poets. ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the poet Jules :)

      Delete