Saturday, December 3, 2016

Carpe Diem #1085 The Kiss (Philip Glass)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I have a wonderful piece of music for your inspiration. It is composed by one of the greatest modern composers I know, Philip Glass. At the end of our last century I heard work of Glass for the very first time. I was visiting a friend of mine and he had bought a wonderful modern Opera, as he called it. "You have to listen to this part", he said. He played a part of an Egyptian dead-song. "Awesome", I said. "Who has written this?" He showed me the case of the CD and there it was a beautiful image of Akhnaten, the forgotten pharao who introduced the "one-god" religion of Aton. Maybe you can remember his name from our trip along and over the Nile.
"This is Philip Glass' masterpiece "Akhnaten", my friend said. "I just recently discovered his music". I was immediately a fan of this modern times classical music composed by Philip Glass, but for your inspiration I have chosen another composition by him.

Philip Glass (1937 - )
Philip Glass

Philip Glass (born January 31, 1937) is an American composer. He is considered one of the most influential music makers of the late 20th century.
Although his compositions were often described as minimal music, as were other "minimalists" such as La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Glass has since distanced himself from the "minimalist" label, describing himself instead as a composer of "music with repetitive structures", which he has helped evolve stylistically. Currently, he describes himself as a "classicist", pointing out that he is trained in harmony and counterpoint and studied such composers as Franz Schubert, Johann Sebastian Bach, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with Nadia Boulanger.
Glass has founded a namesake musical group, the Philip Glass Ensemble, with which he still performs on keyboards, and has written 24 operas, musical theatre works, ten symphonies, eleven concertos, solo works, chamber music including seven string quartets and instrumental sonatas, and film scores. Three of his film scores have been nominated for Academy Awards.


This video is created by Elliott Walsh, (images and music are copyrighted and the copyright lays with the artists.)

sweet sensations
I kiss the woman of my life
my heart beats again


© Chèvrefeuille

This episode ( a little belated maybe) is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until December 8th at noon (CET). I will publish our new episode, The Waltz of the Flowers by Tchaikovsky, later on. For now .... have fun!



3 comments: