Thursday, March 29, 2018

Carpe Diem #1400 The Awakening, a love poem by Rumi


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at the last regular episode of our wonderful Kai in March. This month we explored the Qu'ran and the wonderful poetry by the Mystical Poet Rumi. We have read wonderful ideas, thoughts, verses and more, but ... every month has its end. So this is the last episode (regular) of March 2018. Next month I hope t inspire you through all kinds of themes to create haibun, as you maybe know of the Kamishiba feature here or maybe through that wonderful (classic piece of literature) "The Small Path Into The Deep North", by the renown haiku master Matsuo Basho. Well ... that's next month. This month we have only this episode and of course the last weekend-meditation of March too.

Rumi, the Mystical Poet
For this last episode I have chosen a love poem written by Rumi and translated by Deepak Chopra. In my opinion this poem is the most beautiful of this month. It is titled "The Awakening". Enkoy the read and I hope you all will be inspired to create your own Japanese poetry.

The Awakening:

In the early dawn of happiness
you gave me three kisses
so that I would wake up
to this moment of love

I tried to remember in my heart
what I’d dream about
during the night
before I became aware 
of this moving 
of life

I found my dreams 
but the moon took me away
It lifted me up to the firmament
and suspended me there
I saw how my heart had fallen
on your path
singing a song

Mount Fuji, the Holy Mountain of Japan, in early dawn

Between my love and my heart
things were happening which
slowly slowly 
made me recall everything

You amuse me with your touch
although I can’t see your hands.
You have kissed me with tenderness
although I haven’t seen your lips
You are hidden from me.

But it is you who keeps me alive

Perhaps the time will come
when you will tire of kisses
I shall be happy 
even for insults from you
I only ask that you 
keep some attention on me.

© Rumi (Taken from: The Love Poems of Rumi by Deepak Chopra)

A nice poem I think full of lovely scenes and therefore a rich source of inspiration.

Entwined Bodies (image found on Pinterest)

this moment
in the light of dawn
your lips touch mine
sunbeams carress our naked bodies
entwined in the aftermath

© Chèvrefeuille

Hm ... not bad this tanka. As you all know Tanka isn't really my "cup of tea", but I like the form and I think a tanka, a love poem, is the only poem that fits this beautiful poem by Rumi.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until April 5th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our weekend-meditation later on. For now .... have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment