Friday, March 9, 2018

Carpe Diem Weekend Meditation #23 Kamishibai, the art of story telling


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new weekend meditation here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. Last weekend I challenged you to revise a few classical, renown, haiku by (my master) Matsuo Basho (1644-1694). And as you maybe know Basho was a great storyteller too. His haibun "The Narrow Road Into The Deep North", is a renown classical work and here at CDHK we have read it together several years ago. Several years ago I also introduced a special feature here at CDHK titled "Kamishibai, the art of story telling". (More about Kamishibai you can find HERE).

This weekend I love to challenge you to create a haibun, be the storyteller like Basho, Of course this is a challenge so there are a few rules:

Your haibun may have a maximum of 250 words (including the haiku). The haiku in your haibun have to be classical, so with 5-7-5 syllables, a seasonword, a cuttingword, an interchangeable first and third line, a deeper meaning and of course nature. The haiku has to be that really short moment similar with the sound of a pebble thrown into water.

Than a last "rule", your haibun must be themed "springtime".

Daffodils (sign of springtime)
Well have a wonderful weekend.

This weekend-meditation is open for your submissions next Sunday March 11th at 7:00 PM (CET) and will remain open until March 18th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new regular episode around that time too.


3 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed everyones haibun. My computer will not allow me to like anyone's pages, again. Working on the problem, but wanted you to know I am reading your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least this made me think of Spring. Still cold and windy here.

    http://purplepeninportland.com/2018/03/18/brooklyn-botanic-gardens/

    ReplyDelete