Saturday, October 6, 2018

Carpe Diem's Quest for a (new) masterpiece #4 autumn leaves


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I had what spare time so I will give you a new episode of our special "(new) masterpiece" feature. During the ages there were haiku poets both classical and non-classical, and as all of us hope, they wrote masterpieces of haiku (and tanka). There are several "masterpieces" to find. Here are a few masterpieces I found while on a journey on the Internet. (I don't know the name of the translator, so if you are the translator or you know the translator, please let me know)

The light snow.
The ice without any trace
On the lake.

© Kawahigashi Hekigoto (1873-1937)

In the bamboo grove
The yellow spring sunlight,
I look up at it.

© Takahama Kyoshi (1874-1959)

Woodblock print

The sound of rain.
The clouds on right-side are
With the summer moon.

© Hasegawa Kanajo (1887-1969)

Grasses in summer.
The warriors’ dreams
All that left.

© Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)

Four wonderful haiku masterpieces I think and I dare to say that you, my dear haijin, visitors and travelers, can create such masterpieces too. For this "quest for a (new) masterpiece" episode I love to challenge you to create your masterpiece inspired on "autumn leaves".

Maybe you can remember our first introductory episode of this new feature in which I gave my idea about what makes a haiku a masterpiece! 

What makes a haiku (or tanka) a masterpiece? Well ... I will give it a try to tell you what a haiku (or tanka) makes a masterpiece in my opinion.
First: It has to describe a moment that got your attention.
Second: You have to use the right words. Words that describe the moment in its true way.
Third: Maybe ... use the classical way of creating haiku (or tanka) (as mentioned in CDHK Lecture One above in the menu).
Fourth: It has been written right from the heart or soul not the mind.
Fifth: It's (maybe) in the sense and tone of the classical haiku (tanka) poets.
Sixth: It has to be ... how shall I say it ... be your child, your creation ... in a masterpiece we can read, between the lines, the poet who created it.


the sound of water
refreshes my overflowing mind
balance again

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... the above haiku, freshly from my mind, isn't inspired on the theme "autumn leaves", but I think it's in a way connected to the theme, autumn leaves are falling in a wonderful dance, for dancing you need balance. 

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until October 13th at noon (CEST). Share your (new) masterpiece with us all and as you all know I have planned to create a new exclusive CDHK E-book with your (new) masterpieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment