Thursday, March 17, 2016

Carpe Diem #941 Heart


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I once started to write, because I like to play with words and bring them to life through my novels and of course through my haiku and tanka. It's really a joy to dive into the richness of your own language, or in this case here at CDHK, into English, not my maiden language, but it starts to become almost my maiden language.
Today's haiku writing technique used by Basho has all to do with pleasure to play with words. To explain the meaning of this HWT I will also give the romaji translation of the haiku by Basho for today.

tanabata no awanu kokero ya uchuten

for the Star Festival*
even when hearts cannot meet
rainy-rapture

© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

* see also the post about Tanabata Festival, last October, by clicking HERE


Tanabata Festival (July 7th)

The haiku writing technique of today is Creating New Words and this is waht Jane writes about it:

One of the reasons for becoming a poet or writer is for the joy of working with words. Fairly quickly one finds out, even in a language as rich as English, that there are not enough words to explain or name everything. The writer / poet must either find images for these unnamed states of being or make up a new word.

In the above haiku by Basho we find a "new created word" by him. This "new word" is 'uchuten'. It's a compound word made by Basho incorporating "rain in the middle of heaven" and ecstasy.

A wonderful haiku writing technique which will challenge you I think. Again ... I haven't tried it yet, because of lack of time, but maybe I will come up with something later on.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until March 20th at noon (CET). I will publish our new episode, thorn, later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment