Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Carpe Diem Tokubetsudesu #73 pi-ku another nice poetry form (reprise)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our weekly feature Carpe Diem Tokubetsudesu. This week I love to challenge you to write a so called "pi-ku" as a kind of tribute to "Pi-day" which was on March 14. Why is this day called "Pi-day"? Because of the numbers of this date 3.14, which is the value of "Pi".

I remember that we have done this earlier in one of our episodes of "Carpe Diem Little Ones" that special feature about other little poetry  forms like haiku. I will give you an example of a pi-ku.

the sun rises
the heat
already tangible

© Chèvrefeuille

I sought the Internet for all the digits of Pi and I found the next (short) value: 3,14159 26535 89793 23846 ... and the digits go on and on, everlasting ...

Let us try to make a Pi-ku with the above digits in red (3,14159) the lines of the Pi-ku and the syllables-count would become the following:

1st line 3 syllables; 2nd line 1 syllable; 3rd line 4 syllables; 4th line 1 syllable; 5th line 5 syllables and the 6th line would be 9 syllables. To me this sounds great and will be for sure a challenge. So let me try to make my Pi-ku longer with those new lines and their syllables-count:

the sun rises
the heat
already tangible
mist
spirals above the stream
another day starts in mysterious ways
 


© Chèvrefeuille
 

Sunrise
Isn't it a wonderful (extended) pi-ku?

As you all know next week we will have our second Theme Week here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. Last month the theme was "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" and in our second Theme Week we will "Color Our Life". I can hear you all think "coloring my life?" Yes ... we are going to explore the spiritual meaning of the colors of the rainbow.

At the start of Carpe Diem, back in 2012, I had also a week about the colors of the rainbow and in our next Theme Week "Color Your Life" we will have a reprise week (so to say). By the way ... at the end of this 2nd edition of Carpe Diem Theme Week I will create a new e-book (as I did last month for the Theme Week) in which I will gather all the episodes and all of your submissions.

Logo of our 2nd Carpe Diem Theme Week "Color Your Life"
yûmomiji tani zankô no kie kakaru

evening's fall colors -
the rainbow in the valley
fades away

© Issa 

I am looking forward to this new Theme Week, it will be a busy week, that's for sure, because I have to create two posts every day that week, but I enjoy it very much ... so I cannot wait until it is next week.

For closure a last message; The voting for our "Time"-kukai has closed. I will count the votes and I hope to publish the results later this week. Be patient.
I am busy with the creation of an anthology in which I have gathered all the submitted haiku for the "Winter"- en "Time"-kukai. I will give you the title already for this new CDHK e-book: "Melting To Nothingness" and it is taken from the following haiku by Nimi Arora:

a moments rest
melting to nothingness
snowflakes sigh

© Nimi Arora

Weel ... it has become another nice episode I would say. This Tokubetsudesu episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until March 18th at noon (CET). 


1 comment:

  1. I love the pi-ku so much that I am submitting my stab at the form here... http://mumbletymuse.com/2016/03/23/pi-forever/

    ReplyDelete