Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Carpe Diem Renga Challenge #3 Chrysanthemum Dew


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I am under the impression that you all love this Renga Challenge feature and I think it's awesome to write a renga together with one of the classic masters. For this third episode I have again six beauties written by Matsuo Basho (1644-1694) in a translation by Jane Reichhold. I still miss her, but I know that her spirit is still dwelling here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. As I think of her I only can smile and be gratefull that I have known her and have worked with her.

The goal is to create a renga with a minimum of six stanza and a maximum of 12 stanza. You can use the haiku I give in any order, the only thing you have to do is create the two-lined stanza between the haiku through association on the images/scenes in the haiku.

A Girl Collecting Chrysanthemum Dew by the stream (woodblock print)
Here are the six haiku by Basho to work with:

the image shows
an old woman weeping alone
my friend the moon


passing through autumn
a butterfly seems to lick
chrysanthemum dew


five or six
sitting with tea and cakes

a fireplace

Skylark

a skylark sings
the pheasant's voice is
the instrumental music


how glorious
young green leaves
flash in the sun


early summer rains
falling so heavily they cover up
the waterfall


© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold, taken from "Basho, The Complete Haiku")

 All great haiku ... enjoy your renga-party together with Basho.

This Renga Challenge is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 24th at noon (CEST). Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment