Friday, July 10, 2015

Carpe Diem #773 Mugiwara boushi (straw hat)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Time isn't at my side this day. I had a very busy schedule, so I hadn't enough time to create a long episode for our daily haiku meme, but (finally) I have found a little time to create this new episode.
Today our prompt is Mugiwara boushi (strawhat) and I have made it myself a little bit easy. I have used part of another weblog I have for this episode. Sometimes there is no need to invent the wheel again (smiles).

Writing about Basho is easy, because I love his haiku and I am feeling a kind of bond with him. I hope that my haiku have a little bit of "Basho's Spirit". According to fellow haiku poets, my haiku are in the same Spirit as the haiku by Basho. I can't say that of my own haiku, maybe you, my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers, can tell me.

essential to life
the little space under my hat
enjoying the coolness


© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

This is a not so well known haiku of Basho. The Japanese hat in this haiku is the so called "kasa".

Credits: kasa
The "kasa" was an umbrella like hat. In some way through wearing this 'kasa' Basho always had his own shady place at hand.

The haiku I wrote inspired on the given one has (in my opinion) the same tone, sense and humor.

such a hot day
my shadow needs to cool down
under the willow


© Chèvrefeuille

Another one with the same theme:

hot summer day
the shadow of the willows
Ah! that coolness

© Chèvrefeuille

And to conclude this episode I have written the next haiku, a very fre styled one, maybe karumi styled, but that's not up to me.:

Blue Lagoon
my space of shade
a brolly

© Chèvrefeuille

I hope you enjoyed this little episode and of course I hope it will inspire you to write an all new haiku or tanka and share it with us.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 13th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, Funsui (fountain), later on. For now ... well I don't need to say that I think, but nevertheless I will say it ... have fun!


4 comments:

  1. Funny how sometimes you think for hours and then suddenly it comes to you. This one meant a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, a great post! Really enjoyed the dose of humor in your first haiku!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is up at: https://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/relief-2/

    ReplyDelete